Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Utility 4?

I am trying to use this to get rid of some noise I have in the background of one of my pics. The picture is in Jpg format but when I click on the tab that says noise reduction it comes up but it won't let me edit anything. Does anyone know how to do this?

06-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First are you in Browser or Laboratory mode ? (See Top left of your screen)

You must be in Laboratory mode to access the noise reduction tab.

Second, is your JPEG straight out of the camera? PDCU 4.1 only recognise shots/files straight out of Pentax cameras. If you manipulate, rename, change anything, the file is no longer recognised as a pentax photo by PDCU and you cannot manipulate/post-process it.

Hope that the comments will assist to put you back on track...

Last edited by hcc; 07-31-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Typo
06-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
First are you in Browser or Laboratory mode ? (See Top left of your screen)

You must be in Laboratory mode to access the noise reduction tab.

Second, is your JPEG straight out of the camera? PDCU 4.1 only recognise shots/fies straight out of Pentax cameras. If you manipulate, rename, change anything, the file is no longer recognised as a pentax photo by PDCU and you cannot manipulate/post-process it.

Hope that the comments will assist to put you back on track...
Do you know what I am supposed to click after. The Random Noise reduction check box and slider are not click-able? Am I supposed to press something different?
06-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

PDCU 4.1 only recognise shots/fies straight out of Pentax cameras.
Is that really true? Older Photo Browser/Lab has a filter for file "brands".

06-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Is that really true? Older Photo Browser/Lab has a filter for file "brands".
In PDCU, I can browse any JPEG file, but I can only use the Laboratory mode, and edit the shots, with files taken with a Pentax dSLR.
06-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by matsui255 Quote
Do you know what I am supposed to click after. The Random Noise reduction check box and slider are not click-able? Am I supposed to press something different?
The Random Noise reduction is only available for RAW files. It is not available for JPEG files

For high-ISO noise, it is recommended to use a dedicated Noise reduction software. Some Pentaxian use Noiseninja or Noiseware. I use the latter as standalone because it is very simple, and give me good results (eg at ISO 3200). You can always download the Noiseware trial version. It does the same fucntion but doe not save the EXIF and do not batch processing.