Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Well I sat down try this out. To pick up a photo from Flickr and post in Forums.

1. Found the photo in Flick
2. Clicked on it to get large size.
3. Selected appropriate size
4. Clicked on "Share this Photo"
5. Clicked on "Grab the Link"
6. Copied URL which came up in square
7. Went to Forums and clicked on "Insert Image" (Small Picture of Mountain)
8. Pasted the Copied URL
9. Hit OK.
10. Hit Preview or Submit Reply.

Nothing, Zero.

This procedure is virtually what I have been doing Flickr/Forums for years.
What am I doing wrong that no picture will come up in Forums.

I must be missing something, but then, what's new?
Yeah, I tried the same with no success.

After tinkering around, I found a way for the photo to link when using the new Flickr layout.

1) Go to the Actions drop down menu of the selected image and select the "View All Sizes"
2) Click on the preferred size that you want
3) Once your image loads, copy the url of the image found in the browser's location bar
4) Click the insert image icon when posting a reply, then paste the url that was copied earlier

Hope this helps.

07-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Wouldn't the above give you a link to the HTML page containing the image? Instead of grabbing the URL from the browser location bar, I right click the image itself and grab it from the popup menu (Firefox on PC; simialr procedure should work for other systems).

I think it might end up being one more click than it used to, but really, the big change was when they stopped allowing right click access to the image without having to go to All Sizes, and that happened months ago.

As for the rule saying the image has to link back to the original page, I'll start following when they start giving me an easy way to actually do that. None of the forums I frequent support they HTML code they provide, and I'm too lazy to mess with fixing it.
07-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Click the link in my previous post and tell me if it redirects you to my photostream.
No...it sends me to the image file. Your photostream page for that image is at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47074856@N02/4757319364/

Steve
07-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That has always been the case, since this board does not accept HTML codes. It uses BBcode instead.

I didn't know about that but have my own script to do this work. I was going to share it with everyone but now see there is no point.

EDIT: Although my script preserves the image title.
Image title is good. Perhaps you should share your script anyway?

Steve

07-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
...As for the rule saying the image has to link back to the original page, I'll start following when they start giving me an easy way to actually do that. None of the forums I frequent support they HTML code they provide, and I'm too lazy to mess with fixing it.
I am not sure, but I think that they may have a bot that detects and blocks deep links to images unless they are explicitly hyper-linked to a photostream page. Ever wonder why so many shared images, even recently shared ones, on this site display with the Flickr "denied" image instead?

Steve
07-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am not sure, but I think that they may have a bot that detects and blocks deep links to images unless they are explicitly hyper-linked to a photostream page. Ever wonder why so many shared images, even recently shared ones, on this site display with the Flickr "denied" image instead?
This happens even with correctly linked images. I think their servers have the hiccups.
07-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Wouldn't the above give you a link to the HTML page containing the image? Instead of grabbing the URL from the browser location bar, I right click the image itself and grab it from the popup menu (Firefox on PC; simialr procedure should work for other systems)....
I thought so too but strangely enough it works for me.
I just get the image and not the html page with the image.

07-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #23
Inactive Account

That has always been the case, since this board does not accept HTML codes. It uses BBcode instead.
Yep, I know. But the trimmed HTML was available and still is for those using the old format. This works just fine on this forum with IMG tags.
07-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I had a thread about this last week. Not everyone got the banner warning about the new system. Plus, the staff were less than helpful and insisted that questions about the new system go and join the Social Group and look for answers in one of the threads or ask in a thread. I found this attitude unacceptable for a paid service. I had my thread locked because of Cody trying to bicker with me.

However, I found that once you click through to the show sizes during the slide show, you can right click and select image location just like in the old system.

There are a lot of good things about the new system but there are also a lot of issues.
07-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Er, yeah. Just a little tedious for 3,000 images!
This situation has got me thinking about how to deal with a situation like this. If a person doesn't renew the subscription, it opens up a can of worms. I guess I have 7 months to figure out what I'm going to do.

Edit: Here's is a story behind the motivating factor. They are threatened by FaceBook.

http://www.switched.com/2010/06/24/yahoo-unveils-a-new-and-more-wonderful-fl...medium=twitter

Last edited by Blue; 07-05-2010 at 11:32 PM.
07-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems, now, that the new format is only a Beta version.
The new beta was thrust on people without their request.

I now find that you can "opt out" if you so desire.
I have done just that, and reading the comments it appears so are many others.

Thanks you Flickr, for you presumptive attitude and your unwillingness to even advise people.
07-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #27
Inactive Account

We'll face the music when it comes to it Bruce.
07-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Image title is good. Perhaps you should share your script anyway?
I just checked it out and it relies a lot on some pretty substantial Python libraries I have. So I don't think it would really help anyone. Darn.
07-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just checked it out and it relies a lot on some pretty substantial Python libraries I have. So I don't think it would really help anyone. Darn.
Yep...python is not exactly part of your average PC user's stack.

Steve
07-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not so much Python, which anyone can easily download. It's the dependencies of my routine that make it rather a bit too much to ask of most people. To anyone who wants to do any coding at all I recommend Python -- I use it for all my scripting. The only time I can't is for web sites committed to brain-dead PHP.