Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
It seems, now, that the new format is only a Beta version.
The new beta was thrust on people without their request.

I now find that you can "opt out" if you so desire.
I have done just that, and reading the comments it appears so are many others.

Thanks you Flickr, for you presumptive attitude and your unwillingness to even advise people.
They are trying to become Face Book. Apparently the upper staff there remember the early days of flickr when it started out to be a Social Network. I guess they haven't grasped that they have become an image hosting site.

07-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't see how any of these changes indicate that they are trying to become FaceBook. Had they rolled out a whole bunch of social networking tools then, sure. But all this change amounts to is an interface redesign with a new map interface for geolocation.

On the other hand, they would be stupid to ignore any sites they see as competition.
07-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I don't see how any of these changes indicate that they are trying to become FaceBook. Had they rolled out a whole bunch of social networking tools then, sure. But all this change amounts to is an interface redesign with a new map interface for geolocation.

On the other hand, they would be stupid to ignore any sites they see as competition.
That was based on comments in the article that I linked to in a previous post. Plus, if they see FaceBook as their main competition, I'm surprised.

The geo-tagging is one of the motivations in their redesign. However, not every image needs geo-tagged and some shouldn't be. I really wouldn't want to geo-tag certain things with children for example. On the other hand, for architectural, geological and geographical features, it could be helpful for some people.

QuoteQuote:
With Facebook now the most popular photo-sharing site on the Web, and with Picasa steadily gaining ground, Flickr found itself in desperate need of a shot in the arm. In response, then, Yahoo! decided to renovate its site in the hopes of making Flickr "more wonderful
http://www.switched.com/2010/06/24/yahoo-unveils-a-new-and-more-wonderful-fl...medium=twitter