Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

"Raw to Jpeg" color different in Camera output and Pentax software output

There is a strange phenomenon,
on the left is a jpg output from raw file in my Pentax K7,
on the right is a jpg output from raw file in Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4(without changing any parameters)
I use only sRGB in my workflow

Anybody know why there is such a difference?

Attached Images

07-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

On the Custom Image tab do you have Camera setting selected in DCU?
07-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
On the Custom Image tab do you have Camera setting selected in DCU?
yup, I have chosen "Camera setting" on the custom image tab, and the setting in my camera is "Bright"

When I choose "bright" on the custom image tab, the result is the same. This phenomenon is obvious in sunset photos.

another pentax user also got the problem
07-07-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by provia Quote
yup, I have chosen "Camera setting" on the custom image tab, and the setting in my camera is "Bright"

When I choose "bright" on the custom image tab, the result is the same. This phenomenon is obvious in sunset photos.
Hmm, most probably a bug in DCU. I don't really use DCU (and also don't have K-7), but I'll test this with a pef from my K-m when I get home.

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest version from Pentax's website? Maybe it's already fixed in the latest version.

07-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmm, most probably a bug in DCU. I don't really use DCU (and also don't have K-7), but I'll test this with a pef from my K-m when I get home.

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest version from Pentax's website? Maybe it's already fixed in the latest version.
yes, I am using the latest ver.

BTW, which Raw conversion software can closely mimic the color of DCU?
07-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

From my short experience and experiments with RAW, Pentax supplied software seems to have a closest match to camera JPEGs. It seems to me that an absolute match to camera processed images is not possible to mimic. I am also disappointed by this fact. Have tried shooting RAW+ and then compared camera JPEGs to post-processed from RAW and there has always been a difference. In most cases I could choose from RAW processed JPEG, but there a times when I will notice that camera JPEG is actually better (finer detail, color gradients).

Unfortunately, pro-RAW people will never tell you that . It is always about compromise whether you are shooting RAW or JPEG.
07-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll test this with a pef from my K-m when I get home.
I tried it yesterday and for my photo "camera setting" and "natural" gave exactly the same result. So it's either limited to K-7 or to "bright" mode, or it's just someting with your DCU installation. I neither have K-7, nor any sunset raw where camera was set to "bright".