Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cloggie_UK Quote
No it doesn't even come close... The indicator is over to the far left and doesn't move. It just keeps telling me to increase brightness until I can't go no further.

The simple mode leaves my monitor washed out so I don't want to use it.

René

HI again, Rene

It sounds like your monitor is not doing so well.
is it a crt or lcd?
the other thing to try is to update the eyeone match software and try again.
could be that your monitor is just to worn out to adjust.

let me know how you make out.
oh, one more thing..... if when you calibrate your monitor, make sure the room is not to bright. if you have the huey or the eyeone 2, then try turning off the ambient room light feature and try that as well.

randy

12-01-2006, 02:54 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Randy,

It is a 19" CRT and only about a year and a half old. It is an IIyama Vision Master Pro 454 (IIyama Vision Master Pro 454) and bought it new (old stock) about a year ago .

I've already got the latest version of the software. I am wondering if the colorimeter is not functioning correctly. I seem to reach the target luminance though.

René
12-01-2006, 03:57 AM   #18
Forum Member

Probably a stupid question but one of my monitors doesn't have a color temperature in terms of 6500K etc but has Normal, Blue & Red presets and a custom where you can adjust the R G & B channels. Any idea what the R G B levels should be for 6500K ?

Edit...
OK ignore me ... some more googling and I've found the answer ... red preset is 6500K blue preset is 9300K and normal is sRGB. The color sliders in the user section move to the appropriate place so you can see what they should be for each of these settings. Not sure how this could be extrapilated to give other temperature settings though.

Last edited by BarneyCG; 12-01-2006 at 04:08 AM.
12-01-2006, 04:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have got to buy a Pantone Huey.. soon, I promise ;-)

12-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry...

I'm sorry if I offended. In actuality applaud your exuberant efforts to spread information; I even see the utility in simplifying that material to it's essential essence. And finally, personal experience carries considerable credibility and value.

But there are pitfalls. Chief among these is the personal experience where offsetting error actually produce good results. This has another name: luck. And luck is a fickle mistress.

I am keenly aware of my own personal deficiencies wrt physical attributes; I pay several doctors way too much money to remind me from time to time that I'm not young and strong and smart. I have come to depend on several mechanical devices instead of my raw senses: eyeglass, bathroom and kitchen scales, a wristwatch and for digital photography and matters of monitors and printers and color, Monaco EZColor w/Optrix. There is also a list of human experts and their written musing in web articles and magazine or books who I respect and believe.

As to POV wrt color management, you come from a low-tech approach and I prefer high-tech.

But it doesn't add to the knowledge base, it doesn't help anyone if our sharing with them is less than factual.

One must have consistent and controlled lighting to accurately judge photographs. Optimally one would judge in the final viewing light, but alternatively, matching monitor to it's immediate surroundings and working to a standard, statistically provides the highest accuracy across the largest spectrum of light variation.

As to monitor sync rates, if one chooses to follow web 'advice' over the warnings in the video card/monitor/PC manuals-the equipment is ones own to damage or destroy.

As to profiles, failing to follow written instructions, whatever the reason for avoiding the actual reading---well, the output will be it's own reward.
12-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I'm sorry if I offended. In actuality applaud your exuberant efforts to spread information; I even see the utility in simplifying that material to it's essential essence. And finally, personal experience carries considerable credibility and value.

But there are pitfalls. Chief among these is the personal experience where offsetting error actually produce good results. This has another name: luck. And luck is a fickle mistress.

I am keenly aware of my own personal deficiencies wrt physical attributes; I pay several doctors way too much money to remind me from time to time that I'm not young and strong and smart. I have come to depend on several mechanical devices instead of my raw senses: eyeglass, bathroom and kitchen scales, a wristwatch and for digital photography and matters of monitors and printers and color, Monaco EZColor w/Optrix. There is also a list of human experts and their written musing in web articles and magazine or books who I respect and believe.

As to POV wrt color management, you come from a low-tech approach and I prefer high-tech.

But it doesn't add to the knowledge base, it doesn't help anyone if our sharing with them is less than factual.

One must have consistent and controlled lighting to accurately judge photographs. Optimally one would judge in the final viewing light, but alternatively, matching monitor to it's immediate surroundings and working to a standard, statistically provides the highest accuracy across the largest spectrum of light variation.

As to monitor sync rates, if one chooses to follow web 'advice' over the warnings in the video card/monitor/PC manuals-the equipment is ones own to damage or destroy.

As to profiles, failing to follow written instructions, whatever the reason for avoiding the actual reading---well, the output will be it's own reward.
JF: no offense taken what's so ever. I do appreciate the help in trying to explain things...... I could have gone into way more detail, but at the risk of loosing 95% of the people.
what I would like to do, if time permits, have mini tutorials, and have them all eventually make sense as a whole.
I don't know everything that is for sure
what I do know has taken me years..... only because when I make a computer related purchase, I research it to know end, as I am looking for the best deals, etc and from there I go off in tangents, leading me to things like color management, etc. besides, most of my research comes from the internet, which people are well aware is full of information that is both accurate and inaccurate, and usually a bit bias.
I do hope that someone learns even a little bit of knowledge from what is posted here, and that in turn will hopefully make their digital photography just a little bit more pleasurable.
After all, that is why we are all here on the forums
If anyone would like to add to what I say or correct me (trying to keep it in laymen's terms) I welcome that

thanks

cheers

randy
12-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyCG Quote
Probably a stupid question but one of my monitors doesn't have a color temperature in terms of 6500K etc but has Normal, Blue & Red presets and a custom where you can adjust the R G & B channels. Any idea what the R G B levels should be for 6500K ?

Edit...
OK ignore me ... some more googling and I've found the answer ... red preset is 6500K blue preset is 9300K and normal is sRGB. The color sliders in the user section move to the appropriate place so you can see what they should be for each of these settings. Not sure how this could be extrapilated to give other temperature settings though.
Hi Barney

I am not quite sure what you are saying, but I hope it is working for you.
Usually the red, green and blue adjustments allow you to adjust for the proper white point setting when you calibrate your monitor in an advanced way.
what happens with my eyeone display is the software eventually prompts me to adjust these 3 settings until they make some reference points line up..... hard to explain without acually doing it....

If I can help you in anyway, please let me know

randy

12-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Randy, how often should you calibrate your monitor? I have a (relatively) old Sun Microsystems 21" CRT flat screen. It was calibrated several years ago, should it be done more often than that? If so how often?

NaCl(I actually like it now, but it could prolly be better)H2O
12-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Randy, how often should you calibrate your monitor? I have a (relatively) old Sun Microsystems 21" CRT flat screen. It was calibrated several years ago, should it be done more often than that? If so how often?

Hi.

Your post above gives me a deja-vu-ish dizziness.
Re: Color Channels Separated: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
In your case? Once a week. Stay pure at colors, not only pure by heart!

Why do I feel old-fashioned looking at my nick name?

regards!
12-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

I am with Jonas B. I do get a bit lazy and stretch it to two weeks. when I recalibrate, I can compare the before and after, there is a slight difference, but if you addd a slight difference each time you do it, it all adds up to a bigger difference in the end.
some people are real fussy and do it every day, others go up to a month.
If you buy something like the eyeone display, the software has a reminder that you can set to remind you when the next calibration is due.
I am not sure the Huey can do this, though.

*** added note **** MAKE SURE you warm up your monitor at LEAST a 1/2 an hour before calibration.

cheers
03-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tswill2 Quote
Does anyone have experience with the ColorVision Spyder2 Express unit? I did a Amazon check and it is available for $65 vs $70 for the Huey. Which is the better package? Any comparison reviews?
Tom
That question was posted back in November 2006 and nobody answered it. I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on the matter now, four months later? I too am trying to decide between the Huey and the Spyder2 Express. The Huey apparently has an ambient light sensor. But the customer reviews on Amazon for the Huey are more mixed than those for the Spyder2. Generally, people either love the Huey or think it's junk - and that makes judging the reviews rather difficult. Are the people who hate it just too dumb to install it or use it correctly? Are they cranks? Or are the people who love it too blind to notice that their reds are now orange and their blues are now purple? Has anybody used either of these? I'm leaning now towards the Spyder2 Express.

Will
03-21-2007, 02:15 AM   #27

Does anyone have experience with the ColorVision Spyder2 Express unit? I did a Amazon check and it is available for $65 vs $70 for the Huey. Which is the better package? Any comparison reviews?
Tom
I have just recently purchased the Colorvision Spyder2 Express. It is pretty easy to use and has made a considerable difference to my CRT monitor (NEC-Mitsubishi DP93SB). There is far more gradation in the black/grey scale - more detail in shadow areas - and skin colours are noticeably more natural. The one thing that does take some getting used to is the warm yellowish tint due to setting the colour temperature to 6500C.

All-in-all it well worth the investment.

Can't help with any comparisons.
03-21-2007, 03:04 AM   #28

Tom
I have just recently purchased the Colorvision Spyder2 Express. It is pretty easy to use and has made a considerable difference to my CRT monitor (NEC-Mitsubishi DP93SB). There is far more gradation in the black/grey scale - more detail in shadow areas - and skin colours are noticeably more natural. The one thing that does take some getting used to is the warm yellowish tint due to setting the colour temperature to 6500C.

All-in-all it well worth the investment.

Can't help with any comparisons.
03-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
That question was posted back in November 2006 and nobody answered it. I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on the matter now, four months later? I too am trying to decide between the Huey and the Spyder2 Express. The Huey apparently has an ambient light sensor. But the customer reviews on Amazon for the Huey are more mixed than those for the Spyder2. Generally, people either love the Huey or think it's junk - and that makes judging the reviews rather difficult. Are the people who hate it just too dumb to install it or use it correctly? Are they cranks? Or are the people who love it too blind to notice that their reds are now orange and their blues are now purple? Has anybody used either of these? I'm leaning now towards the Spyder2 Express.

Will
Hi WMBP

as far as the heuy goes, no I don't think that those people are cranks or that there is something wrong with the huey in general.
you see, I think it could be user ignorance, as in not knowing how to use the ambient lighting sensor.
what these people might not know is that for best results, your monitor should be in a dimly lit room, and the viewing light of the room should not vary to much. (if you ever had a tour of a pro printer who do there own editing you would notice this)

what might be happening to some people is they might have their monitor near a bright window, and with the huey at default changes with the room light, thus if the light coming from the window varies, so will the result of the huey's calibration.

so for best results from both the huey and the spider, I would just turn the ambient room light option off (my calibrator doesn't even have one as it is an older version) or stay in a dimly lit room and keep it on.

the spider is a way better choice IMHO as it gives more consistant results.

good luck

cheers

randy
03-21-2007, 07:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
what might be happening to some people is they might have their monitor near a bright window, and with the huey at default changes with the room light, thus if the light coming from the window varies, so will the result of the huey's calibration.

so for best results from both the huey and the spider, I would just turn the ambient room light option off (my calibrator doesn't even have one as it is an older version) or stay in a dimly lit room and keep it on.

the spider is a way better choice IMHO as it gives more consistant results.
Thanks, Randy.

I love windows and natural light, but my computer is placed in a darkish corner. I already work with low ambient light.

Some of the consumer reviewers were complaining that the Huey and/or the Spyder had bad documentation, poor customer service, and (particularly troubling to me) that the software either crashed or caused incompatibilities with other programs. In other words, the complaints were not mostly about the results.

Anyway, after thinking about it, I've now decided to spring for the rather more expensive GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display 2 package. It seems to get excellent reviews everywhere.

Thanks again to Randy and others for the info in this thread (and other threads on the same subject here).

Will