Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get that monitor off of the default color temperature!

almost all monitors come standard with the default color temperature of 9300K.... which will give all your photos a "cold" cast.
switch it if you can to 6500K for normal viewing and regular proofing, or if you calibrate your monitor and want to proof it before sending it to a good printer, go with the standard 5000k

you will see a warm color cast, especially at 5000k. your eyes will get used to it (9300k default is bright, cool white so that will be the biggest difference) and you will be pleased with the way the tones of colors display

thanks

11-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Will take a look at that too.
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the tip, never knew that!

Just changed it to 6500, sure hope that my eyes would get use to it quickly, 5 minutes after the change - my eyes feel rather "weird"

Regards,
D
11-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Thanks for the tip, never knew that!

Just changed it to 6500, sure hope that my eyes would get use to it quickly, 5 minutes after the change - my eyes feel rather "weird"

Regards,
D
If you are using a CRT monitor, make sure your refresh rate is above 70hz as below that is hard on your eyes.

cheers

randy

Last edited by slip; 11-30-2006 at 02:25 PM. Reason: should read hz not mhz
11-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Rak
Inactive Account

I've been on 6500K ever since I got this monitor. I changed it to 9300K and it looks like a blue filter. Also, my monitor has an "sRGB" mode that is spot-on for contrast.
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Stupid question, but here goes...

Where do you set the color temperature? Is it in the Adobe Gamma control? I was told to disable Adobe Gamma once you use a colorimeter.

If it's in the display control panel, I don't have that setting. The NVidia card in my photo editing PC overrides the Windows default Control Panel for the display adapter.

Thanks

-E
11-29-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Used to be on the default setting of 9300 until I read a log and detailed post about this in a Photo forum about a year ago. It felt weird after I went to 6500, but after less than a week I got used to it and now 9300 Monitors feel way too "cold" for me.

11-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You set it directly on the monitor's menu.

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Where do you set the color temperature? Is it in the Adobe Gamma control? I was told to disable Adobe Gamma once you use a colorimeter.

If it's in the display control panel, I don't have that setting. The NVidia card in my photo editing PC overrides the Windows default Control Panel for the display adapter.

Thanks

-E
11-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote

Thanks

-E
Where you change the color temperature of your monitor is in your monitor controls

If you have a colorimeter and don't have any adjustment to change the color temperature with your monitor settings, then most software that comes with the colorimeter (huey, eyeone display, spider, etc) will let you change the color temperature there.
and yes, if you do use a colorimeter, you should disable Adobe gamma loader

hope this helps, ericc

cheers
11-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RedHawk Quote
Used to be on the default setting of 9300 until I read a log and detailed post about this in a Photo forum about a year ago. It felt weird after I went to 6500, but after less than a week I got used to it and now 9300 Monitors feel way too "cold" for me.

that is the beauty of our eyes/ brain...... it can adapt quickly.
this makes it difficult to see the final color temperature of our final photos, though
11-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
If you are using a CRT monitor, make sure your refresh rate is above 70mhz as below that is hard on your eyes.

cheers

randy
Randy - everything on my monitor menu is in kHz, currently set as 53.7kHz/60.0Hz? Does it mean it's not CRT? Its a standard 17" piece that came with basic E-Machine about 2 years ago...

Regards,
D
11-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Randy - everything on my monitor menu is in kHz, currently set as 53.7kHz/60.0Hz? Does it mean it's not CRT? Its a standard 17" piece that came with basic E-Machine about 2 years ago...

Regards,
D
hi duh_vinci

you will know the difference between crt and lcd by how wide it is.

If you have the old style crt, then the bottom section will apply to you.(your eyes will thank you for it) if you have a lcd, then don't change anything as far as hz goes.

after looking it up, it is hz not mhz like I described above.
If you know how to, change the refresh rate (HZ) to 75 and see how it looks.
it should be easier on your eyes, but the size of the windows will likely change and you will have to adjust them.
when you do this, make sure that you still have the same color depth.
It should be a min. of 16bit, but 24 or 32bit is usually standard for photo viewing.
when you put it at 75hz and you can't see get at least 16bit color, you might have to try 72hz or 70hz instead.
anything below 70hz will have that distracting "blink" that is very hard on your eyes

let me know how you make out, and if you need anymore help, please let me know

randy
11-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hi duh_vinci

you will know the difference between crt and lcd by how wide it is.

If you have the old style crt, then the bottom section will apply to you.(your eyes will thank you for it) if you have a lcd, then don't change anything as far as hz goes.

after looking it up, it is hz not mhz like I described above.
If you know how to, change the refresh rate (HZ) to 75 and see how it looks.
it should be easier on your eyes, but the size of the windows will likely change and you will have to adjust them.
when you do this, make sure that you still have the same color depth.
It should be a min. of 16bit, but 24 or 32bit is usually standard for photo viewing.
when you put it at 75hz and you can't see get at least 16bit color, you might have to try 72hz or 70hz instead.
anything below 70hz will have that distracting "blink" that is very hard on your eyes

let me know how you make out, and if you need anymore help, please let me know

randy
Here is a link to an excellent explaination how a CRT monitor works and explains the refresh rate (HZ)
Howstuffworks "How Computer Monitors Work"
11-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Where you change the color temperature of your monitor is in your monitor controls
I don't see it on the monitor control panel. (Display->Settings->Advanced->Monitor). Nor does the Huey software have a place to set the temperature. There is a place where it asks how you use the computer and it has some warm/cold options, but nothing with explicit temperatures.

It could be me, though. I suffer from refrigerator blindness*. Thanks for your help Randy.

* Refrigerator blindness: selective loss of visual acuity in association with a common foraging behavior in male humans
11-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

No - try on the monitor directly (button/s in front or maybe on the side). The adjusments are NOT made in Windows.