Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is Lightroom and Bridge+ACR the same?

Ive been using the Photoshop suit as my primary image processing software. Well, not really Photoshop but mostly Bridge and ACR. Photoshop i only go to when i need to do more complex editing and that is rare.

Ive heard a lot of good talk about lightroom and decided to give it a try. But to me Lightroom only seems to be the Bridge-ACR combo combined in one, maybe a little more good looking, package. Am I missing something here? Can Lightroom do things that I cant do with the Bridge-ACR combo?

07-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karlr Quote
Ive been using the Photoshop suit as my primary image processing software. Well, not really Photoshop but mostly Bridge and ACR. Photoshop i only go to when i need to do more complex editing and that is rare.

Ive heard a lot of good talk about lightroom and decided to give it a try. But to me Lightroom only seems to be the Bridge-ACR combo combined in one, maybe a little more good looking, package. Am I missing something here? Can Lightroom do things that I cant do with the Bridge-ACR combo?
of course, putting all DAM things aside - for example there are plug-ins for LR to allow extra postprocessing, whereas with ACR and Bridge you don't have that functionality - you need to run Photoshop
07-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, so if Im getting it right Lightroom makes workflow more easy and continuous by combinding features into on package? My way of working with Bridge and ACR and Photoshop when needed might be a little more complicated but can still get the same job done?

I was worried maybe i was missing out on something by not using Lightroom but it seems like the actual image engine is the same in Lightroom and ACR (comparing Lightroom 3 and ACR 6)?
07-15-2010, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by karlr Quote

You are actually pretty close to the mark regarding image processing.
Lightroom is an excellent tool for image management, and it has, by necessity, an image processing engine in it which can satisfy the needs of people who need little more than raw conversion and the basics of image editing.
Where Lightroom shines is it's cataloging abilities.

Photoshop/Bridge has minimal (no) cataloging abilities, but is a very powerful image editor.

I use both, but if I had to choose one or the other, Photoshop would be my first choice, but I do fairly complex image editing.

07-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Things are clearer to me now, thanks for answers!
07-17-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You may also be interested in this Q&A on Scott Kelby's blog:

Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider Blog

quote from there: "The [Lightroom] Develop Module is actually just Camera Raw on a darker gray background"
07-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

As Wheatfield said PS and Bridge have no cataloging features but the development module is identical in LR and in PS. Photoshop just allows you to go way farther with the image than lightroom can. In a perfect world you would do most of the work and all of the cataloging in LR than switch to PS for the times the photo needs the heavy duty stuff like double processing. And if you do HDR than you'd want CS5.
07-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You are actually pretty close to the mark regarding image processing.
Lightroom is an excellent tool for image management, and it has, by necessity, an image processing engine in it which can satisfy the needs of people who need little more than raw conversion and the basics of image editing.
Where Lightroom shines is it's cataloging abilities.

Photoshop/Bridge has minimal (no) cataloging abilities, but is a very powerful image editor.

I use both, but if I had to choose one or the other, Photoshop would be my first choice, but I do fairly complex image editing.
For someone who is content with producing decent looking images, LR and most other raw converters will suffice. But if you want to take your photography to a higher level, you will, at some point, have to make use of a more complete and powerful image editor, such as Photoshop. Photoshop, comes bundled with ACR, which is the same raw converter that is in LR. So, if you do not really need the file management capabilities of LR, then PS may make more sense as a single program.

Rob