Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is Aperture worth it?

I'm thinking of getting Apple's Aperture. Is it worth it? Or should I save up some more and get Photoshop or something else? Feedback appreciated!

07-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes it is worth it.
07-17-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Aperture and Photoshop are two entirely different programs, with different functions.

Aperture is a cataloguing, tagging, organising tool, while Photoshop is a bitmap pixel processing tool.

Of course, that is a big generalisation, and they can both do much more. But they come from two opposite sides of the equation.

Aperture has, in fact, now got very powerful in the image editing department, including the fact that many plugins, previously available as Photoshop plugins, are now written as native Aperture plugins as well.

As a result, I'd say that unless you're really into the creative use of Photoshop to generate "images" as opposed to photographs, then Aperture will do over 90% of what you're likely to need. And it is still improving. And you don't need to buy the full Photoshop to look after the other 10% - Elements will do just fine for pixel peeping and tweaking.

I was a dedicated Photoshop user, for everyday image adjusting. I shoot in RAW, and used Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to convert to a bitmap format, then tweaked the rest in Photoshop.

Now I use Aperture, and although I do have the latest Photoshop CS5 upgrade, I'm finding that I rarely need to flip out to Photoshop at all. The round trip involves converting to TIFF or JPG then out to Photoshop then back again. I hardly do that now. So Aperture keeps all my original digital masters untouched, and I just work with what Aperture calls versions. The final export to JPG or whatever is the first time that the edits and tweaks have been saved into the image, so compression artifacts are basically non-existent, and my masters remain untouched.

Bottom line: Aperture, for about $300-odd, will do pretty well most of what you're likely to need. I'd recommend getting it.
07-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks a lot guys

07-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote

Bottom line: Aperture, for about $300-odd, will do pretty well most of what you're likely to need. I'd recommend getting it.
Agreed, I'm like Derridale, I rarely go out to photoshop. My current setup is Aperture for my basic photo editing and cataloging and then Nik Software tools for more elaborate fixes. Unless I'm adding something to a photo like changing the sky I rarely if ever use photoshop any more. And when I do, I use elements.
07-21-2010, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find Aperture to be an incredibly intuitive and user friendly program. I have Photoshop Elements but can't quite warm to it although I am working on it. I don't imagine ever being more than an external editor for very specific functions. With Aperture and some dedicated plug-ins you can probably accomplish most of what you might want to do as well as organizing your files.
-Joe
07-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love Aperture. It's a powerful program that's relatively easy to use.

It does have its quirks, though -- I'd say "faces" is still not ready for prime-time yet.

07-25-2010, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

As i understand it, we windows operators have Aperture to thank for the creation of Lightroom. Adobe perceived a real threat to their dominance in the photography world and created their own database style photo processing tool. A professor told me that Photoshop is now targeted for the graphic artist while Lightroom is the tool intended for photographers. Seems about right.

I switched to Lightroom from my first software, Corel's paintshop pro, because the local club was using Lightroom and it seemed so much more intuitive to me. with corel's PSP, i was always having to look up how to do things, with LR, i could enjoy photo processing with the feeling of not having to work at it. without having to relearn it everytime. what a joy.

From the comments above, it sounds like Aperture is intuitive as well. I can't compare the two, but since Aperture set the trend, its probably at least LR's equal. I would always go for an intuitive program over one that's a challenge to use, IMO.
07-28-2010, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I do 99% of everything that I need to do in PP in Aperture. All the photos on my website were processed in Aperture. I only go into PS when there is some hardcore/wonky/crazy stuff that needs to be done. Aperture is great.
07-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

YES YES YES YES YES!

Aperture is fantastic! After the 3.0 update I've found I almost NEVER go into Photoshop anymore unless I'm doing composites.
08-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Is there an option to bulk rezise images in Aperture 3?

Also wonder if i can rezise, add watermark and add some sharpness to compensate the rezise inside Aperture.
10-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Is there an option to bulk rezise images in Aperture 3?

Also wonder if i can rezise, add watermark and add some sharpness to compensate the rezise inside Aperture.
Absolutely you can do that via the Export function (Expect for adding sharpness however, AP3's size reduction algorithm does a great job of it so you may not need too)

Tim
10-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #13

yes, its really a great program. But it is demands a lot of your computer. It easily gets sloooow. You need lots of RAM and one of the newer processors.
10-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends...

If you are savvy enough with computers to be able to learn how to add a new partition, and you are not afraid to try Linux, then I think your need for Aperture would be greatly diminished. In Linux you can use digiKam which can pretty much take care of 99% of your needs, for free! And the next upgrade of digiKam is going to be free as well, and the next one, and the next one, and... And all of them will have new and more powerful features.

Come on people, its time to free yourselves from the proprietary lock and costly upgrade treadmill!
10-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Come on people, its time to free yourselves from the proprietary lock and costly upgrade treadmill!
As well as free yourself of compatible drivers, coherent documentation, and updates that, for the most part, improve things .

I have nothing against Linux, but only the technologically brave should really venture there. It's easy to spend more time configuring your computer than actually using it in Lunix .

I love aperture, and if I still had a mac, I would use it.