Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #1

Photoshop elements 5.0 or Coral Paint Shop Pro XI

Wanting to finally get around to buying some PP software. Cant afford CS3 rigt now, and these 2 programs seem to be my 2 choices for now. If you can shed some light on te 2, please do so.

Looking for the basic stuff, plus need something for Raw(finally try it) and for HDR.

thanks, J

08-17-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Both are great programs. I have Paint Shop Pro XI and CS3 suit. I also use Picasa (free by Google) Each program has different attributes and draw backs but Elements and Paint Shop Pro programs Are more involved for PP work and cover the entire spectrum. Elements and PSPXI are two very good programs. They are easy to understand and use from the start. It all boils down to which one you like the most and find easiest to use. I know PSPXI has a trial version good for 30 days. I don't know if elements does any more but you could try downloading the trial and see how you like PSPXI.
It is entirely up to you which you like and understand the best. Good luck.
08-17-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Gimp & UFRaw

Gimp & UFRaw plugin is freeware and does everything you need.
There are versions for both Windows and Linux.

The only thing is the user interface (of the Gimp), which might initially intimidate people who want everything on their screen at the same place as selected by Microsoft. For others, I repeat, they are free and fully functional...
08-17-2007, 06:18 AM   #4

How about Lightroom? It's inexpensive and uses the same RAW engine as CS3.

08-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Lightroom is a good choice, but at $299, isn't exactly cheap compared to PSPXI ($99) or Elements 5.0 ($75)

I only have Elements 5.0. It does everything I need, but it doesn't do HDR. If you want to know more, they do have a free trial. I love the organizer, it's easy for me to add keywords, or tag them with certain categories, and rate them. I'm sure the other programs work great too, I just happened on a sale for PSE for $50 at Best Buy, so I snapped it up, and it works for me.
08-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #6

Just my .02...
PSP XI is a really decent program. And...it is compatabile with all Adobe Photoshop Plugins.
Make sure you download the update after the install. Without the update it won't read Pentax Raw.
08-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
Will PSP XI do HDR? Right now I've been using Picasa2 until i decide wat program I'd like to buy.

08-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
Will PSP XI do HDR? Right now I've been using Picasa2 until i decide wat program I'd like to buy.
You prefer to do HDR manually? I use photomatix for HDR picture. If you don't know it already their url is HDR photo software & plugin - Tone Mapping, Exposure Blending & HDR Imaging for photography
08-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use PSP X. I picked it up for $30 just after the release of PSP XI. what made it sweeter was that it came with a $30 rebate so I actually got it for free.