Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tired of consumer grade photo printer

So I'm thinking of getting a proper photo printer, as the standard one I've got now (Canon MP160) is inconsistent at best. For my wife's snapshots it's fine, but for my better stuff, I just don't like it. Anyone have any recommendations? Something with Lightroom profiles would be great, and something that will do larger than 8.5 x 11 would be great also.

07-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

Look at the higher end Epsons.
07-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
So I'm thinking of getting a proper photo printer, as the standard one I've got now (Canon MP160) is inconsistent at best. For my wife's snapshots it's fine, but for my better stuff, I just don't like it. Anyone have any recommendations? Something with Lightroom profiles would be great, and something that will do larger than 8.5 x 11 would be great also.
Honestly, send them to a pro shop. Far cheaper and better quality, especially if you are thinking larger prints.
07-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Honestly, send them to a pro shop. Far cheaper and better quality, especially if you are thinking larger prints.
But you lose control and speed.

07-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second graphicgr8s answer. Epson has speed and quality printers. If you want a print that looks like it came from a lab but didn't. Epson is the obvious choice here.

More than 18 years using Epson printers, and I won't change.
07-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I second graphicgr8s answer. Epson has speed and quality printers. If you want a print that looks like it came from a lab but didn't. Epson is the obvious choice here.

More than 18 years using Epson printers, and I won't change.
Oh I don't know about that. Maybe an HP. Indigo. Or the Xerox 700. But most people don't have the 300 grand for the Indigo or the 70 grand for the 700 (I don't either)
07-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #7

Bought an Epson 1400 a few years ago. A nice printer and can print up to 13x19. It is a dye ink printer, and not a pigment. Once you have the printer calibrated with your monitor, it is so much nicer than prints from a lab. I still use a lab for the 4x6s but any framed prints are from the printer.

If you want to do Black and Whites, you might want to look elsewhere. Not that the 1400 can't do good B&Ws, but occasionally have a slight color cast. For colours, the prints look spectacular.

07-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
Bought an Epson 1400 a few years ago. A nice printer and can print up to 13x19. It is a dye ink printer, and not a pigment. Once you have the printer calibrated with your monitor, it is so much nicer than prints from a lab. I still use a lab for the 4x6s but any framed prints are from the printer.

If you want to do Black and Whites, you might want to look elsewhere. Not that the 1400 can't do good B&Ws, but occasionally have a slight color cast. For colours, the prints look spectacular.
I have a feeling your color cast may come from your file settings and not the printer. If the file isn't set right it will have a cast even on a 70 grand machine.
07-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
TOne of these may suit your needs... HP Photosmart Pro B8850 or Epson Stylus Photo R1900

HP Pro B8850 Photo Printer: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/413264/review/photosmart_pro_b8850.html
07-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Profile your printer with Spyder3Print will fix the problem.
07-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
Forum Member

If printer is idle for some prolonged period of time (say three months), isnt there any problems with its printing head? Getting dried up, clotted or something?
07-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Some modern inkjets would do self cleaning automatically so long as the power is hooked up, even when powered off. This will consume ink, but also preserve the print heads.
07-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I have a feeling your color cast may come from your file settings and not the printer. If the file isn't set right it will have a cast even on a 70 grand machine.
It's a grayscale photo so I think the file is set right. From what I have heard, the printer's B&W color cast is from the printer which tries to emulate gray scales by combining the various ink colors. It is pretty close, but there is a slight color cast to the grayscales. I think there are printers out there with gray inks but I could be wrong...
07-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
It's a grayscale photo so I think the file is set right. From what I have heard, the printer's B&W color cast is from the printer which tries to emulate gray scales by combining the various ink colors. It is pretty close, but there is a slight color cast to the grayscales. I think there are printers out there with gray inks but I could be wrong...
When you open the file and look at the mode does it say "Grayscale" ? Or did you just desaturate the color. "Grayscale" forces the printer (most anyway) to only run black in. Gray, any shade of any of the four colors actually, is only an illusion. The printer either prints 100% of the color or prints 0% of the color. There is no middle ground. What varies is the size of the dot.

Just desaturating the image causes the printer to try to make the grays using all four colors. One other thought. Is it a CMYK printer or a MYK printer. My dell only prints 3 color. No black so it's always a color build.
07-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an Epson r2880 and it ROCKS!. Prints every bit as good as a commecial lab and the prints are archival since it uses pigments rather than dyes. Prints up to 13" wide X 44" long (using included roll paper attachment), though I usually use it for 13"x19".

Mike