Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-7.Which RAW converter do you use to process images ?

Hi!

I have recently bought the Pentax K-7.But before it i used Pentax K200D.Now i try to understand how to process images because i can't get good results with settings which I used for K200D RAW files.I am using Silkypix Developer Studio Pro.

So i want to ask which RAW converter do you use and what settings do you apply to achieve sharp images?Because when i use Silkypix for K200D RAW i set Outline Emphasis to 20 and with K-7 RAW to get sharp images i set it to 35-40.

Sorry for my english.

07-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k-sw Quote
Hi!

I have recently bought the Pentax K-7.But before it i used Pentax K200D.Now i try to understand how to process images because i can't get good results with settings which I used for K200D RAW files.I am using Silkypix Developer Studio Pro.

So i want to ask which RAW converter do you use and what settings do you apply to achieve sharp images?Because when i use Silkypix for K200D RAW i set Outline Emphasis to 20 and with K-7 RAW to get sharp images i set it to 35-40.

Sorry for my english.
[joking]

ACR 6.1,

150 / 0.5 / 25

[/joking]
07-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I use Capture One 5 Pro, having previously used Lightroom/ACR and DxO (which Pentaxians should avoid like the plague.) SilkyPix has a reputation for being rather difficult to learn. As for your own best choice, there is simply no substitute for trying several programs for yourself to see which one provides the best results and has a workflow that suits you. Free trial downloads are available for virtually every raw converter on the market.

Rob
07-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lightroom 3.0

07-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmm, I`m confused one poster says lightroom - avoid it like the plague, the next post recommends it.
Personally I use Silkypix, love the results and haven`t found it the least bit difficult to learn.
07-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have not used Capture One in years so I do not know how the current version compares. I have been using Lightroom for the past few years and LR3 is a very capable RAW converter with a lot of support material available for new users.
07-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baldrick Quote
Hmmmm, I`m confused one poster says lightroom - avoid it like the plague, the next post recommends it.
Personally I use Silkypix, love the results and haven`t found it the least bit difficult to learn.
If you are referring to my earlier post, it was DxO that I said should be avoided, not Lightroom. The reason for this is that DxO does not seem to be committed to supporting Pentax cameras and lenses. For instance, the K-x is still not covered, even though it is Pentax's best-selling DSLR ever. Lightroom is a very capable program, although I prefer the ease of use and the results that I get from Capture One for my K-7.

Rob

07-25-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I use Adobe camera raw, but.... recently have done almost nothing in ACR, just going thru to get to CS4, which as far as sharpening/noise removal/exposure, seems to do more subtle enhancements.
07-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Lightroom 2.7. Might go to LR3.x once the first update comes out
07-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I just have to chip in and say (caveat- not a K-7 user) that I am very impressed with my trial of LR3 as a RAW converter.

It pulls detail out of my K-x and K200D DNG's very impressively, and the output from even noisy 12800 ISO DNG's has never looked so good. LR3 noise reduction in particular is very sophisticated and subtle.
07-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Forum Member

I will dare to differ . I use UFRaw (UFRaw - Home) as my everyday RAW processor. Why? Super-fast, small, does the job without too much clutter. I do 95% of the work in Gimp (GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program) so I do not need super feature-rich RAW developer. Try this one out! It is NOT a replacement for a Lightroom but can do wonders if you need something that loads quickly and has super-simple interface.

If I need additional power, I use RawTherapee (RawTherapee 3.0 alpha 1 and license changes, if you want the bleeding edge version, you can download it at rawtherapee.com :: View topic - Latest builds - test the latest unstable RT). RawTherapee is a big, slow, clunky beast, comparable to Lightroom. The interface needs some time to get used to but it has everything a non-pro will ever need.

Oh, I have forgotten to add that all of this software is completely free (GNU GPL license), even for a commercial use and available for Windows and Linux.