Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Removals in Photoshop

I would appreciate learning how to remove something unwanted from a photograph, using PSE 8.
Thank you

07-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The clone tool is your friend. I'd bet if you Google "clone tool" you will hit dozens of explanations and tutorials.
07-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #3

You didn't mention what you want removed. Is it an object or a background? There's a quick Selection Tool that can remove backgrounds provided they are not a lot of edges to work with. I use PE7.
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
The fellow in the foreground, who walked unexpectedly into the picture.

Attached Images

07-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is going to be a time consuming process. The ground will be easy to do with the clone and healing brush. The stone wall will take longer. However the monk's covered part of the body will be a lot of work. I might clone the upper body with the right side of the monk but there's really no source for the left leg. Perhaps the right leg of the other monk in the middle might work. I would go on Corbis or Google image search to find a similar image of a man in a robe walking to use as a source.

Doing this well is not going to be easy. This will easily take 3-5 hours for experienced retouchers. I don't think you will be able to pull this off well as a first timer. Do you have any other images taken at the same place to use as sources?

Finally, I think it's a fine picture the way it is already, I wouldn't touch it.
07-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Relly like this shot. Can't help you out with elements, but the previous post sounds like your best route. a quick 3 minutes in cs5 and this was produced. i just got it and am experimenting. the content aware feature is amazing and then a bit of healing brush and cloning. a bit more time and experiment would really clean it up. hope u don't mind, gave me another opportunity to play in cs5. i've deleted the files

Last edited by ivoire; 02-02-2011 at 03:39 AM.
07-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #7

I saw a demo on removing items with the CS5 and when I saw the photo that's the first thing I thought of. I thought it was amazing what the new program can do.

It does a very good job on removing items. Just wish it can remove my bills so I can purchase a copy. I suppose I could keep downloading the free 30-day demo every month. lol

07-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Earl53 Quote
I saw a demo on removing items with the CS5 and when I saw the photo that's the first thing I thought of. I thought it was amazing what the new program can do.

It does a very good job on removing items. Just wish it can remove my bills so I can purchase a copy. I suppose I could keep downloading the free 30-day demo every month. lol
software that removed your bills would cost even more. with student status it is $189.... got a family member in school? the content aware works very well if the complete surrounding background is similar. when there is a variety of differences, its not so good, but it still shortens the cleanup task. i noticed that the pano fill demo doesn't show the artifacts that need to be cleaned up after the content aware delete. but again, it is better than hand cloning a fill
07-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Relly like this shot. Can't help you out with elements, but the previous post sounds like your best route. a quick 3 minutes in cs5 and this was produced. i just got it and am experimenting. the content aware feature is amazing and then a bit of healing brush and cloning. a bit more time and experiment would really clean it up. hope u don't mind, gave me another opportunity to play in cs5. i've deleted the files
with some more touch up this could look pretty good I reckon

although if it was me i'd probably clone out the monk entirely, then recomp the monk in but motion blur him so it looks like he's walking across the frame into the arch, if that makes sense
I think it would make the image look more dynamic anyway