Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

One more Software Bokeh sample fr. crappy P&S

I started playing with a plugin called Alien Skin Bokeh which was updated recently and so I decided to give it a try with some old P&S taken several years ago.

The first thing I noticed was how good the OOF rendering effect has become since I last tried the software.
The second thing that jumped out was how nicely the images responded with ACR6 with regards to NR and local adjustments in contrast to what was possible back in the day.

IMAGE: Canon S3IS, 38mm, f/3.5

click image for full size sample

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 10:33 AM.
07-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Yes ACR6 is awesome. A major step forward I'd say.

So tell me, how is the masking of the birds head handled? Do you have to mask it yourself, or does Alien Skin Bokeh do it automatically somehow?
07-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slinco Quote
Yes ACR6 is awesome. A major step forward I'd say.

So tell me, how is the masking of the birds head handled? Do you have to mask it yourself, or does Alien Skin Bokeh do it automatically somehow?
I did mask it, and so I chose this shot because it was easy(1-3 mins total). Though I can see where the plugin would show limitations with more complex scenes.
However in case with isolated subjects it can be easily used and quite handy.

As for the DOF region, you can use the plugin's tools to average out the OOF area(various methods available) or a selection or both. In this scene, I used both as it seems more accurate.

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-29-2010 at 12:45 AM.
07-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Bekoh is pretty cool when used in moderation...