Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
SOftware that saves EXIF data on the pictures

I know there are various programs that can get the EXIF data from the pictures however are there any that will save it as a layer on the picture?

So when I look at a pic I saved in this way I can see the information up front and even compare it side by side with another.

Thanks.

07-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think ZoomBrowser that comes with Canon cameras can do some of that. Maybe just filename and date.

Most editors, including Pentax software and Elements, will show a preview above the box of exif data. It would not work for side-by-side comparison, though.
07-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd expect any photo browser that can do side by side comparisons of shots can show you EXIF while it does so. No need to mess up your images by actually saving it in visible form. For example, here's a screen shot of an ACDSee comparison screen. Note the EXIF display below the images:

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-29-2010 at 03:08 PM.
07-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You mean something like this?

Last edited by MPrince; 03-17-2016 at 02:38 PM.
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You mean something like this?
Yes.

Thanks for the other suggestions however Im looking for something like MPrince posted.
07-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
Yes.

Thanks for the other suggestions however Im looking for something like MPrince posted.
I'm afraid it's not a single software solution, but it was pretty fast & easy.

I used photome to capture the exif data. From the file menu, I clicked on import/export--->text output. I selected the format and sections that I wanted, then clicked on 'copy to clipboard'. Then in Photoshop elements I created a blank layer, opened up a text box, and copied the exif text to the text box. The text in the text box defaulted to 6 point, which was way too big, so I highlighted the text and changed the point size.

That's about it.
07-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Oh....

So there is no program (Photoshop or some such) that gives you the option of layering it in like that (automatically)?

I will see if there is other input then if not will have to do it manually..

Thanks!

Last edited by Aknot; 07-29-2010 at 03:46 PM.
07-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photoshop will bring up a screen with the exif data, but I couldn't see a way to capture the text from within photoshop. Maybe somebody else knows how.

But my method, though not automatic, really was fast & easy, so I think it's a viable solution to what you want to accomplish if you can't find an automatic method.
07-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you're using windows, try the (free) XnView viewer/converter.

You can set up a batch operation to add text to the images and create new files, and the text can be whatever combination of EXIF values and your own labels that you desire, and you can position it, change the font, etc.

I haven't actually used this feature myself, but I have the program, and I see that the options are there.

It's under Tools > Batch Processing > Transformations > Image > Add Text

(at least in the version I'm running right now)

This is a pretty powerful JPG-manipulation program all around, so it's handy for other purposes too (resizing, converting formats, lossless 90-degree rotations and flips, HTML gallery generator, etc.).

XnView Software - Free graphic and photo viewer, converter, organizer
07-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The ever handy Windows freeware FastStone image viewer can do it in several ways:

it lets you see EXIF data overlaid on an image when viewed side by side with another image (Tools > Compare images), without actually altering the images, and

it also lets you stamp your actual images with EXIF data of your choosing: Tools > Batch Convert Selected Images > Advanced Options > Adjustments > Add text > Insert a Variable, and choose the EXIF fields you want to show up on the exported images.
07-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
I got this idea from briefly looking at FastStone Image viewer. When you compare 4 images (or less) it gives the EXIF data for each photo imposed on the screen. I could not find a way to save it.

I will DL here at home tomorrow and play with it and see if there is a way to do it that way.

It was very convienant.

Thaks again for the help and support.
07-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The ever handy Windows freeware FastStone image viewer can do it in several ways:

it lets you see EXIF data overlaid on an image when viewed side by side with another image (Tools > Compare images), without actually altering the images, and

it also lets you stamp your actual images with EXIF data of your choosing: Tools > Batch Convert Selected Images > Advanced Options > Adjustments > Add text > Insert a Variable, and choose the EXIF fields you want to show up on the exported images.

hahahahahaha.

THANKS!!

I had DL it at work and was messing with it but had no time. Then forgot the name and had to google a little to find it then as I posted what I posted you posted yours..

Will chk out the XnView also.
07-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
So there is no program (Photoshop or some such) that gives you the option of layering it in like that (automatically)?
You could do that in ACDSee easily enough via a batch preset - again, if you really think there is some benefit to actually saving the info onto the image permanently (I can't imagine one). But you can also get ACDSee to simply overlay the EXIF info on the image while displaying it, or put it to the side, without wasting disk space by saving an extra copy of the image or permanently messing up your image. Once you've chosen which info you'd like displayed and where/how you'd like it to appear, you can then display or hide it with just a keystroke or click any time you like.
07-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #14

Original Poster
Well im getting back into it so I like to see what im doing wrong/right/different exposure wise. I already make 2 copies of all my photos with over a terabyte of storage space that is not an issue.

Sometimes I cant get to the images right away so to be able to batch that information easily and compare/examine themn later is paramount.
07-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

But my point is, if the software you use to examine / compare them can overlay the EXIF automatically, what's the benefit of having two copies of the image?

Anyhow, with ACDSee, you can do it either way.