Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Topaz Denoise 5 brings debanding to NR engine

I am please to convey Topaz's latest version of Denoise "v5" - (Soon to be released) with the following updates:
  • Engine performance tweaks.
  • Black color correction
  • Vertical and Horizontal Debanding
Unfortunately... judging by the timing and features, this looks like more like a maintenance release than a full fledged update. Here's to hoping someone at Topaz hears our cries for UI optimizations!

Anyways, here's a quick pass with TD5 on an K20D/ISO6400 low low... light scene. The file had the usual issues(cast and banding), but ACR6 and TD5 did a good job of managing that.
I was also able to pull up an extra stop of shadow detail out of the file thanks to Denoise's advanced NR engine. I probably could have taken my time and done some portrait retouching on the image, but I'm far to lazy and it was just a test image anyways.

K20D, ISO6400, 1/60s, f/4, 28mm, +eV push

Depending on your browser size, you may have to right click the image to view fill size.

~The end

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 11:03 AM.
08-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have no objection to getting shots that clean at iso6400 out of my k20d. None at all. Sigh....maybe the next WR body will accomodate me and do so in JPG even. But you have convinced me to try Topax compared to the Noiseware plugin I currently attempt to use. thanks for the sample. +2 rep
08-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
But you have convinced me to try Topax compared to the Noiseware plugin I currently attempt to use. thanks for the sample. +2 rep
Hello, and thanks for the rep points.

I usually use Noiseware to remove noise in OOF areas as it typically produces smoother renderings. However... I think Denoise may have just nudged Noiseware out of that spot but I can't say for sure at this time.
I'm going to run some more tests tomorrow to see if I can't narrow down my suspicions on that. Though the issue I have with testing software like this, is where it's seems impossible for one person to know all of the techniques and advantages of each software so as to make definitive claim.
08-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Version 5? I thought V4 just came out?

08-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Though the issue I have with testing software like this, is where it's seems impossible for one person to know all of the techniques and advantages of each software so as to make definitive claim.
So true. I have to depend on default values, just like camera reviews do. Sounds like you are way ahead of me in the comparison phase so I will take the easy way out and wait for your results. Thanks.
08-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Version 5? I thought V4 just came out?
You are correct.
Luckily, upgrades remain free for Topaz products.
08-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another try...

I decided to give v5 a go with another v4 file. tbh. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or... simply because I worked on the file previously, but the output looks a little better with this one than the previous one.

Anyways, it's another K20D, ISO6400 in difficult lighting test image to look at.

Depending on your browser resolution, you may have to "right-click, view image" to see image full size.

~The end

08-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Although I love how you used Topaz on these candlelight shots and do not expect I could do as well with Noiseware, I just spent a couple hours comparing the two de-noisers in PE8 and decided I can not see any difference in Topaz JPG Moderate and Noiseware with almost default settings (add slight sharpen and detail protect). Given that my abilities are not sufficient to make a difference, they are the same for my intent and purpose. But it was fun trying and with Topaz being so damn much simpler to use I would pick it if starting over.
08-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

John,
great test photos. before Ver 5, i've read that the only effective debanding software was in some Nik software. its great that now we've got it all in one package.

do you think we still need to use Gordon B Good's magenta removal software for the K20?

I've already got Ver 4, this Ver 5 is a no brainer to download for free - go Topaz.
08-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
John,
great test photos. before Ver 5, i've read that the only effective debanding software was in some Nik software. its great that now we've got it all in one package.

do you think we still need to use Gordon B Good's magenta removal software for the K20?

I've already got Ver 4, this Ver 5 is a no brainer to download for free - go Topaz.
Thanks alot for the support! tbh. I'm still experimenting with output grain and textures, which is proving to be more challenging than I would have thought.
The main issue being where it takes so little to affect the overall look of an image with respect to sharpness and feel.

As for GordonB's too, I've actually rigged it with scripting to process all of my RAW images as I drop them into my main dir(automatically). So, the short answer is, I use it religiously

As for debanding, I'm glad Topaz added the feature to their NR plugin. However... it's nowhere near as convenient as Define's debanding solution which takes no less than 10 seconds to apply(start to finish). Maybe its just because I'm more used to using DeFine than Denoise. Though I I haven't been able to match or replicate the same quality of debanding as DeFine with Denoise v5 as of yet.

I also think the UI speed of Denoise is really holding it back. I have to say(without sounding like a party pooper ) I was pretty disappointed to see that UI performance was not addressed in this update considering it was given a version change.

I think it may be a good time to write a detailed experience report in the Topaz Labs forum to try and shed more light on the issue.
08-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had some time to fine tune Denoise 5 a little more.
I created new profiles using the black level corrector and a few tweaks, which I think may of helped a little more. But most of all, it really helped speed things up.

Here are two K20D ISO6400 shot in total darkness other than a single candle(show in image).

K20D, ISO6400, 1/4s, f/1.8

K20D, ISO6400, 1/10s, f/2.0

Total processing for each image took aprox. 6-10 mins. though I think times could be optimized a but more with a little work.

08-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

Total processing for each image took aprox. 6-10 mins. though I think times could be optimized a but more with a little work.
What system are you running it on? 64-bit version?
08-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What system are you running it on? 64-bit version?
I'm actually wokring off an antique workstation. Which is an 1.8Ghz AMD w/2GB ram under Xp 64bit. And it's really starting to show it's age

Though I'm running Denoise under the 32bit version of CS5

Hopefully the 8 way systems won't be much longer, so I can start planning an upgrade.
08-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Downloading the update now. Loved v4.1 (despite being slow) and looking forward to the speed boost!

c[_]
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, 6400! Incredible.