Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Printing Services

Hi,

I've done a bit of looking around and didn't see a thread about it. I wanted to share an experience I had today and wonder if its a common one.

I recently got some lighting and backdrop stands and decided to try taking some pictures of my kids. Here are a couple after I played some with the exposure. Sorry if the size is off, couldn't figure out how to resize in the bbcode.

and

I think they look great, but I'm biased 'cause they're my kids However I know they aren't perfect.

I uploaded them to my Walgreens account to get a couple of 5x7's and received a confirmation then suddenly my order was canceled. The email I received told me it was for 'technical reasons'. When I went to the store I was stunned when told it was because they could not print photos that had a 'professional appearance' and asked for a release or original media. Their site said nothing about this in the normal interface - if you dig down in the terms it says they can do what they want, when they want for whatever reason they want. It was surreal to find that they wouldn't print my photos essentially because they looked too nice (admittedly a bit of an ego boost).

So, what services do you recommend for printing photos? Preferably one that doesn't assume its users are copyright infringing criminals.

08-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you live in the Phoenix area? If so, I recommend ColorMark- it's the best in the area in terms of quality and service. Photo Lab, Custom Digital Prints, Online Ordering, Digital Prints, Giclee Printing, E-6, C-41, B&W Processing, eCommerce System, Fine Art Inkjet Prints, Custom Framing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately I'm down in Tucson. What's your opinon of Mpix.com?
08-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A while back another user recommended Costco to me for an enlargement and they have been great ever since. Quick enough for me and the price/quality are great.

As to the original post, if they are your photos, why not just sign a release....

"To whom it concerns: I can print my own pictures. Signed Me"

Seems simple...

08-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
It's been a long time, but Photographic Works was the top dog when I was there. Probably not as cheap as mpix if they've even survived.
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
A while back another user recommended Costco to me for an enlargement and they have been great ever since. Quick enough for me and the price/quality are great.

As to the original post, if they are your photos, why not just sign a release....

"To whom it concerns: I can print my own pictures. Signed Me"

Seems simple...
I'm prepared to do that, for some new place. Walgreens just made me angry with the attitude and the misleading email. If I know that I need something like that up front I'm not adverse to providing it.