Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SPB Quote
The Mac is VERY stable. I have not had one crash since I started with Mac's in 5 years, maybe more now.
Wow, you're extremely lucky. During my year long affair with Mac, I have seen a few kernel panics, and some applications crash on regular basis (iMovie is a good example).

08-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The bottom line.
Sorry, I've had a long day
Ouch, you've just declared open season on Apple users.
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
That's twice now on this forum alone I've been informed that I'm gay.
I don't know how my wife and kids are gonna take it!
Anyone care to offer some tips?
08-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just accept it. Be honest with yourself

08-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The bottom line.
Sorry, I've had a long day
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
How come this question about OSs has brought so much anger from allthose anti-apple, microsoft loving, self-appointed experts?
Is there anything good you can say about Macintosh? (After all it was the first and is still now one of the top brands in computing these days.)
I think that you people who relentlessly bash Apple should look deep down and ask "What the hell is wrong with me?"
Adam and hangu, you should really lighten up a bit. There are billions of guys out there - you aren't the only ones with small dick ;-)

Last edited by Gregs; 08-12-2010 at 05:55 AM.
08-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Gay isn't just your orientation, it's a whole mindset. As always when you get a mac vs. pc thread, the mac fanbois come out in full force with some drivel about how mac is superior to pc, which has never really been factual, and is outright cr@p at this point.
08-12-2010, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #37
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As a former Mac user, the biggest problem I have with Mac is the lack of technical expertose when things go wrong - this was in the days before Apple Care. For every Mac expert there are at the very least 10 on the PC if not more. Then there's specialized software that isn't available on the Mac.

08-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
As a former Mac user, the biggest problem I have with Mac is the lack of technical expertose when things go wrong - this was in the days before Apple Care. For every Mac expert there are at the very least 10 on the PC if not more. Then there's specialized software that isn't available on the Mac.
There may be a lack of technical expertise in Canukistan, but there is plenty in the US. And exactly what software isn't available for the Mac beyond vertical markets? And even if it isn't available for Mac OS you can run it on a virtual machine.
08-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There may be a lack of technical expertise in Canukistan, but there is plenty in the US. And exactly what software isn't available for the Mac beyond vertical markets? And even if it isn't available for Mac OS you can run it on a virtual machine.
Without wanting to get involved, if you prefer to disrespect my country with your moron nickname, don't expect anyone to show any respect for the Union of Soviet States of Amerika.
And yes, Mac support in Canada is spotty at best once you get away from the major cities. I expect this is the same in the USSA.
One of the reasons I went with a PC was because there was exactly one retailer of Macs in my city and he was such an ignorant fanboi that I couldn't stomach giving him money, whether or not he was selling a better product (he wasn't).
Ten years later, the Win98 PC that I bought instead of the cultputer is still working and is still in use on an occasional basis.

I do find it amusing that to do some stuff on a mac you have to make it pretend it's a PC. Kinda takes away a lot of why one would buy a Mac in the first place.
08-12-2010, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #40
Forum Member

I never used a Mac.
At the computer shows, however, I try them out regularly and think video editing looks fine, picture editing looks better than on my 400$ acer for sure. Then I ask for the price of the once that make me want to ow one.

Hey! It's not a matter of gay or not. It's a matter of being a Yuppie, Rich, quirky gay or a stupid want to be with no money.

For half that money asked I'll get a top of the line laptop and even more of a PC.
And the other half I can buy me the best and biggest monitor out there.

And Mac with their Altar mentality is not really my thing anyway.

I use Linux and windows and leave the macs, Ipods and pads to the once who don't care for paying overpriced hardware.
08-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Without wanting to get involved, if you prefer to disrespect my country with your moron nickname, don't expect anyone to show any respect for the Union of Soviet States of Amerika.
And yes, Mac support in Canada is spotty at best once you get away from the major cities. I expect this is the same in the USSA.
One of the reasons I went with a PC was because there was exactly one retailer of Macs in my city and he was such an ignorant fanboi that I couldn't stomach giving him money, whether or not he was selling a better product (he wasn't).
Ten years later, the Win98 PC that I bought instead of the cultputer is still working and is still in use on an occasional basis.

I do find it amusing that to do some stuff on a mac you have to make it pretend it's a PC. Kinda takes away a lot of why one would buy a Mac in the first place.
The only thing I have to use a PC for is the restaurant POS system I support, a vertical market. I have never come across any other piece of software that I couldn't find a Mac equivalent for, I'm not a big gamer.

I still own the first Macintosh I bought. A Quadra 605 purchased in 1995. It's been upgraded to a full 68040 processor, 20MB of RAM, Ethernet card. It still gets used for playing old games. My previous desktop is now a fileserver, an old G3 iMac gets used as a Playstation emulator.
08-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
doesn’t change that the option is still there and a welcome one, when you need it. that means if your hardware is capable,you are no longer limited by your OS in terms of software availability.

I have been a PC user for a very long time, and am now mac user. im not going to input my own feelings on this flame war, as i really like both systems the same. but i do find it funny that the pc users always blame the ‘apple fanbois’ for throwing the first flames, then return with the same stupid drivel. the whole IPS/NT debate is really pointless, because a monitor can be colour calibrated. yes, one is better than the other, but the less better option is still more than capable. in terms of hardware, if you have the coin, then get what you want the most. it doesn’t matter how much new and better technology is packed into a rig, if you don’t enjoy using it, then it wont make a difference. I found this out when switching from a win7 based notebook to a new unibody macbook pro. it was night and day difference in day to day usability and enjoyment. particularly when spending several hours in front of the monitor inside aperture or lightroom. go with what you will enjoy the most and then spend as much as you can on the hardware. either from factory or self-installed upgrades.
08-12-2010, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote

And Mac with their Altar mentality is not really my thing anyway.
there is no 'alter mentality' from apple, that only comes from the fanboys!- I use mac because I use final cut pro and at the time, windows XP couldn't 'see' RAW files natively (and lightroom wasn't out then), so I had to use mac for photo editing/video editing, and the interface was worlds apart from XP, I still used PC for gaming and solidworks/3ds max but OSX was my os of choice for as much as I could do, I haven't tried windows 7, maybe it's awesome, maybe it's not- I know vista sucked, had 100's of problems, rolled back to XP

i now use cinema 4d on mac, but still occasionally jump back to PC to use solidworks, rhino or 3ds

only an idiot 'idolises' a computer

mac's are pretty- pretty expensive, yeah you probably can't afford one, but you can't afford a bentley, or a prada suit either- so shut up, buy a pc, and drive a vauxhall
08-12-2010, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #44
Banned

QuoteQuote:
there is no 'alter mentality' from apple, that only comes from the fanboys!-
they must not run the ‘hi, im a mac.’ commercials in europe? apple absolutely plays the mentality up, to sell their products. it may mostly be a ‘fanboy’ thing, but apple is using it to their advantage.
08-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #45
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Unfortunately MacBook Pros, as most of other laptops, have poor screen. Yes, you can get antiglare, but it is still crappy TN screen.

Treat yourself and get HP EliteBook with DreamColor IPS screen. That will be good for photo editing.
I have a 17" HP and will never buy an HP again. Worst laptop I've ever had.

As for stability. Windows 2000, XP and 7 are built on the NT kernal not the dos kernal. W2000 was/is stable enough to use as print servers on my equipment here at work. I've rarely if ever had it crash. And I send HUGE files. larger than you'd ever wind up creating. Also it's the rip for a whole lot of commercial printing equipment. Even the Macs have to eventually send it to a Window server ion most cases. So yeah, Windows is pretty stable. Viruses? Of course a Mac won't have as many problems with it. Who would write the coding for such a small percentage of the systems out there? Here's a hint. Buy Virus Protection software. Use it. Don't open emails you don't know. Pretty simple. Use Common Sense. I have never had a virus on my system at work. And it's on the net all the time.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 08-12-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Closed Thread