Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Q. Mac or PC what is best and specs

I'm on the market to buy new laptop with capability of editing photos, any idea what will be the best and what specification should I look for?
I’m trying or rather have tendency to go new way , the Macbook pro way,
example i7 17” antiglare screen (aperture3 and all that ;-)
Thanks for any suggestion ?

08-08-2010, 05:03 AM   #2

Hi, the best OS for using photo apps is definitely Snow Leopard, but running in 64bit mode.
Macbook Pro is a great idea, but have TN screen and that is sad.
I use PC with Snow Leopard/win7/winxp installed (hackintosh)
+ Eizo LCD.
But Snow Leo is kickass compare to any windows for photo video editing.

If you have monay for Mac just buy it - eventually some extrenal LCD with
sIPS r sPVA screen for better color accurancy.
Eizo is definitely the best one, but not cheap.
Dell have few cheap and great models with sIPS sPVA screens.
08-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks man!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by breethagh Quote
Hi, the best OS for using photo apps is definitely Snow Leopard, but running in 64bit mode.
Macbook Pro is a great idea, but have TN screen and that is sad.
I use PC with Snow Leopard/win7/winxp installed (hackintosh)
+ Eizo LCD.
But Snow Leo is kickass compare to any windows for photo video editing.

If you have monay for Mac just buy it - eventually some extrenal LCD with
sIPS r sPVA screen for better color accurancy.
Eizo is definitely the best one, but not cheap.
Dell have few cheap and great models with sIPS sPVA screens.
I was 89.9% convince to go Mac way and now is 98.9%
To be honest I always want to go to Mac , now I can and I think I will, you just add 9%
cheers mate
08-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Choose software, first, then...

...decide Mac or PC. Until you make that BIG decision, you will are spinning your (and our) wheels. Once you have picked your software package, buy the least expensive piece of hardware to run it. Hardware is obsolete the instant it comes to market (remember Apple?). Good software is forever.

So... pick your poison... LR3, Bibble, Silkypix, etc, THEN ask (spare us by answering this question yourself, first, please) which version runs best on a MAC, or PC. If you decided already, share your decision. It will help guide whoever wishes to chime in with an opinion.

...my 2 cents...

Cheers...

08-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

At this point, I don't think the MAC/PC debate has any point. From what I'm seeing, there isn't much to say between them any longer.
PC's may have better backwards compatibility with older software and have more software to choose from, which may or may not be an advantage.
If I was buying a laptop, I would be basing it purely on what screen it had if OS wasn't a consideration.
If the best screen came on a Mac, I'd buy a Mac, if the best screen as on a PC, then I'd buy a PC.
08-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Old question. After spending 5 years as a Mac user group president, I feel great fondness for Macs. You can buy a cheaper PC, but it's just that, cheaper. However, if you spec out Macs against comparable PCs, you'll most often find that prices are similar as are screens. Just don't buy extra RAM from Apple, which shamelessly over charges. It's simple, and a lot less expensive, to upgrade RAM yourself.

As to software, almost all of the popular photo processing software is available for either. I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out in that regard on my Mac.
08-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of debates (heated and otherwise) on whether to go PC or Mac, which really means either are fine - and I wouldn't have a problem with either as well - only I had to choose one, and I went Mac for more reasons than one.

In any case, all the best in your decision - lots of options to go for, though the i7s really are powerful.

08-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Regardless of your chosen OS, what you want is one of the new quad-core i7's/xeons with hyper-threading as well as 6Gb or more RAM with a 64-bit system. These really speed up your computer.

On my laptop, for example, photoshop opens within 5 seconds. And, since CS3 still runs in 32-bit mode, it'll never max out my RAM, which is another big performance boost.

Regarding the original post:
IMO, no OS is perfect for personal computing, and there are pros and cons to each.

Windows
+Huge compatibility
-Lower performance (although as of windows 7, the difference is almost negligible now)
-Prone to viruses

Mac
+Stable
-Expensive, hardware-dependant (i.e. the only way to get it is on an apple machine unless you dabble in computers)
-Low compatibility

Unix
+Stable
+Very fast
+Free
-Low compatibility, especially with commercial applications
-Hard to get official support

I've had the change to use all three of the above operating systems, windows since '95, mac for 4 years (on lab computers), and linux for a year (on 2 of my PCs). My least favorite was Mac, simply because I find the UI a bit sluggish (maybe the single mouse button just pissed me off on the laptops). Linux was great and extremely fast, but with more advanced hardware, you start running into compatibility issues. Windows XP was a big step above everything behind it, and Windows 7 likewise, but it's in no way perfect. At the moment, I dual-boot windows and linux, but mostly use Windows (a few months ago it was the other way around).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys very much for all the answers
Just about to make my decision and then change my mind again and again……. hmmm I’m recently hopeless with making decision a specially when I’m about to spend around $3000 – 3500 aus dollars and don’t won’t to regret my decision after month or so.
I’m changing from 5 years old laptop with XP and Linux (I have bit of experience with Linux-Ubuntu)
I know that whatever I change too is going to be new learning experience for me.
The most imported think for me is
1) stable OS, ( still going to play with Linux ;-)
2) enough power-speed to ran effortlessly software like Photoshop, Aperture or similar ( no games)
3) Best possible screen HD (antiglare???) ( perhaps later another screen )
4) Upgradeable so I won’t need to change after year or two.
5) And very important!!! Reliable

I’m lining toward Macbook Pro 17” i7 (sorry Adam;-)with antiglare screen and maybe SSD later on
Second option was Toshiba i7 QM 740 1.73 GHz but unfortunately glossy screen only?! ....so……. I think ??? Apple is the answer, but please feel free to correct me :-)
Thanks again to every one for your help
cheers
Greg
08-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #10

Go with the mac. If it has to be a laptop, then sure, go for the macbook pro. By far the best bang for your buck, especially when doing production work, is with a desktop, though. For the money you're willing to spend, you could get a very nice imac that should last you a long, long time. With these and the snow leopard OS, the UI is very snappy, and reliability is where the mac excels (and Linux, too). If you want reliability and stability first and foremost, go with the mac. Windows can't give you that, and Linux, as Adam said, just doesn't deal with newer hardware as well and has poor commercial application support.
08-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jzietman Quote
If you want reliability and stability first and foremost, go with the mac. Windows can't give you that,
Well, that's just plain and simple horsehockey.
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

IMO, SSD's are the biggest pile of BS ever. You end up paying over $1000 for a 500gb drive...

I recently picked up with laptop (model with 1gb of graphics memory and 6gb ram): Buy.com - Sony VAIO F11GGX/B Notebook PC - Intel Core i7 i7-820QM Quad-core 1.73 GHz - 16.4" Active Matrix TFT Color LCD - Black and am very satisfied. I also got it for $1300, which is a steal if you ask me. The only downside is that it only had two USB ports, but you can always get a portable hub.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Windows
+Huge compatibility
-Lower performance (although as of windows 7, the difference is almost negligible now)
-Prone to viruses

Mac
+Stable
-Expensive, hardware-dependant (i.e. the only way to get it is on an apple machine unless you dabble in computers)
-Low compatibility

Unix
+Stable
+Very fast
+Free
-Low compatibility, especially with commercial applications
-Hard to get official support
Ironically Mac OS X is certified UNIX, Linux isn't
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hard to bet a Core i7 MacBook Pro running Aperture 3.
08-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #15

i don't know if you've considered a bluray drive.
if you're planning on using the laptop for 4-5 years, its good to consider a writable bluray drive with hdmi output. does mac come with a bluray drive yet?
Closed Thread