Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Beginner questions. RAW - Color Space

Hi folks,

First, I apologize as these questions have probably been asked a few hundred times already.

I wish to move on to RAW and I am going to use my Pentax software for conversion because, well, it's the only one I have at the moment. As you read this, please correct me if I am wrong. I assume I need to shoot in PEF format when using Pentax software. When I move on to another software in the future, will I need to then go on to DNG format? As an example I would go with Lightroom or another Adobe product.

Next which color space setting do you all recommend? I know this is a wide open question, so please let me know any thoughts.

As you can tell, I am not well versed in many areas.

Thanks for your help.
Tom

Last edited by magnum1; 08-09-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Title edit
08-08-2010, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can just stick with PEF and LR or Photoshop will convert them just fine. I see no reason to go DNG at all. Also, the colour space (& sharpness setting too) set on the camera doesn't matter to RAW. It will be chosen in the RAW converting softwares. That means you can convert the same PEF file to sRGB, AdobeRGB or ProPhoto afterward.
08-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Alan. You answered all I wanted to know. Happy shooting!
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Even if you don't end up using Adobe software, most others handle PEFs just fine as do both updated versions of both Windows and Mac operating systems.

08-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Next which color space setting do you all recommend? I know this is a wide open question, so please let me know any thoughts.
There is much debate and controversy with respect to Adobe RGB 1998 vs sRGB. And I've heard plenty of "Pro's" contradict themselves on this. Anyways... the rule of thumb is that Adobe RGB 1998 has a wider color gamut than sRGB. And the other thing is that this likely won't be perceived anywhere but in print. However... the extra color space could come in handy "if" for example... you were working in 16bit in under a number of circumstances.

Anyways... the most popular recommendation is to use Adobe RGB if you're working in 16bit mode(RAW) and sRGB if you work in 8bit. But don't expect anyone to write this in stone. Like I've said... I've witnessed people contradict each other in live seminars in the past about this(hilarious).

PS. shooting RAW is the bee's knees.

Last edited by JohnBee; 08-09-2010 at 08:21 AM.
08-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Speaking of bit rate, when saving the photo to a Tiff, which is recommended, 8 or 16bit?
08-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's incredibly unlikely that you own a monitor or printer that will show any difference at all between an 8 bit and a 16-bit image. However, if your reason for generating the TIFF (not normally a necessary step in the typical workflow) is that you plan to do more processing on the image in the future using different software, than having more bits to work with is good. Makes the files *much* larger - and TIFF's are big enough as they are. Assuming you are generating TIFF's only for special purposes every once in a while, you might as well make them 16 bit. But in general, there wouldn't be a reaosn to generate TIFF's at all.

BTW, it's not "bit rate" but "bit depth". "bit rate" is for MP3.