Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What do you use for paper?

Just wondering for those that do their own prints..... What type of paper do you use? I recently picked up some Epson premium Luster paper. I mostly print out for myself to hang on the wall, and the occasional print for friends. My dad just about fell out of his chair when I told him the price of this paper. Mind you, he uses photo paper that he gets at the dollar store. So am I crazy for picking a higher end paper, or for your own use, do you use dollar store, or local Big Box store home brand paper? Just to add, I really like the look & feel of the Epson Luster paper.

08-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use Staples photo supreme gloss paper. They were 2 for 1 when I bought them and I find they work very well with my Epson 1400. Gotta be honest, I've never tried the legit Epson paper, but I find I get really good results with the Staples stuff.
08-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use these for 8.5x11 and 13x19 prints, produced by Brilliant and sold locally by Calumet. They are excellent for dye and pigment based inks. If i saw paper in a dollar store i would probably pick up a pack for test prints after head cleaning.

Brilliant Supreme Glossy, Brilliant Supreme Inkjet Paper Glossy
08-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
Try RedRiver paper, see if it you like it.

08-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote
Hi,
Try RedRiver paper, see if it you like it.
Thanks for the tip on this. The specs look good and the prices are excellent on 13x19. will give them a tryout
08-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kirkland Professional Glossy at Costco.
08-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another vote here for Red River papers. They are heavier weight than Costco and come in bigger sizes. Try out one of their sample packages. They're very reasonably priced and that will give you a great idea of what the different finishes will produce.

08-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just received my 13x19 Red River photo paper. It is excellent and less expensive than the other brands i've used. Works great with the Epson R1800. Very fast shipment from this company.
08-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Just received my 13x19 Red River photo paper. It is excellent and less expensive than the other brands i've used. Works great with the Epson R1800. Very fast shipment from this company.
What finish did you get? I've been using the UltraPro Satin but just got a box of Arctic Polar Luster. Did a couple of test prints and think I'm hooked.
08-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

ive been using ilford gold fibre silk,i think its a little cheaper than the epson ??
but its a serious fine art paper.
for anyone who used to work in the darkroom,you will notice this paper smells just like the fixer used in old school processing, its kinda wierd.
08-22-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
What finish did you get? I've been using the UltraPro Satin but just got a box of Arctic Polar Luster. Did a couple of test prints and think I'm hooked.
I ordered the Ultra Pro Gloss for that glass-like sheen. The Arctic Polar Luster is next on my list as it appears to be between the satin and gloss finishes. The name seems to imply a bit cooler look to the prints. Have you noticed any difference in color cast? I'm using a 32" samsung lcd tv/monitor and the prints with the epson and this paper are almost identical in color with no calibration. Blues on this paper are a bit brighter than on screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by dandog Quote
ive been using ilford gold fibre silk,i think its a little cheaper than the epson ??
but its a serious fine art paper.
for anyone who used to work in the darkroom,you will notice this paper smells just like the fixer used in old school processing, its kinda wierd.
This is looking very good for B n W prints and tailored to pigment ink. They also have downloadable printer profiles on their website.

Last edited by ivoire; 08-22-2010 at 04:53 AM.
08-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
Inactive Account

yep downloaded profile from their site,super easy to setup for a print noob like me.
i cant really comment on many papers but i did try the hahnameule sample pack,
and some of the heavy papers were brilliant!my personal favourite was their
german etching paper.
but the gold fibre silk at 310 gsm,is so good i dont really want to try anything else
08-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the different options. I have actually tried the Staples brand paper, and was presently surprised at how well it worked. If I could get Red River in Canada, I think I would try it based on the comments, but I think getting it shipped from the US, would kill the price.
08-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use hot-press watercolor paper and various kinds of drawing paper from the art supply store: Arches HP, for example, or Canson Mi-Teintes.

Wonderful prints and much cheaper than any paper than says "digital" or "photography" on the label.

You do have to cut it to size, though.
08-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II with my Canon i860.

I don't print much, but this combination seems to work pretty well for me. If I were a pro or printed for exhibition, I would probably use a different setup.

Steve