Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adobe educational rebate

Hi I'm a student and I'm eligible to a big rebate on adobe software. I can get lightroom 3 for 89$ or photoshop CS5 extended for 199$. What should I choose. I have a K-x and shoot a lot in raw.

Thanks.

Last edited by miss_alexx; 08-16-2010 at 09:09 AM.
08-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
Hi I'm a student and I'm eligible to a big rebate on adobe software. I can get lightroom 3 for 89$ or photoshop CS5 extended for 199$. What should I choose. I have a K-x and shoot a lot in raw.

Thanks.
CS5 all the way
08-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Thanks.
I'd like to get LR3 for $89. My trial is almost up. Oh to be a student again.
08-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For those prices, I'd get both, since they do different jobs. Bring your RAW files in and organise them through Lightroom, and use CS5 as the default external editor for pixel-tweaking.

08-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
For those prices, I'd get both, since they do different jobs. Bring your RAW files in and organise them through Lightroom, and use CS5 as the default external editor for pixel-tweaking.
I don't think I have the budget for both. If I had to choose ONE of them which one should I choose?
08-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd choose LR. It is not just an image library manager. It has a sub-set of the Photoshop image tweaking tools built in, and many photographers who use it probably do 99% of their image management and editing just within LR.

If in future you find you need to perform more advanced image editing, then buy Photoshop later on.
08-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'd choose LR. It is not just an image library manager. It has a sub-set of the Photoshop image tweaking tools built in, and many photographers who use it probably do 99% of their image management and editing just within LR.

If in future you find you need to perform more advanced image editing, then buy Photoshop later on.
I would probably have to agree with rawr on this one. I use LR2, and I don't have photoshop. I just got an older version of Elements, but have no idea how to use it. I think unless your into some serious editing, then LR is the best bet.

08-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yup - I agree. If it's just one, then Lightroom would be the better one to get.
08-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Which software offers a better management of my photos?
08-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know anything about CS, but LR is great for organizing pictures. You can create custom catalogs, and file as needed. I keep one for my flower shots, one for bugs, etc.
08-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Which software offers a better management of my photos?
LightRoom is the clear winner here. That's its main purpose: Photoshop is an image editor, LightRoom is an image manager. Its job is to help you catalogue, tag, search and generally organise your photo collection, and apply various tune-ups if necessary. And then it can also help you print your photos and publish them on the web too, in a variety of ways.

As a bonus LR3 does a great job in handling K-x DNG files and it's noise reduction engine is great when rendering K-x high-ISO pix too.

There is much to like about Lightroom. It has lots of advanced features but you don't need to know about them to still use it effectively.
08-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm a student too and have been thinking about this. I've been trialling lightroom 3 and I love it, definitely going to get it. Good thing too, is that when you want to start taking commercial pics, you can upgrade which will still be cheaper than buying it new.
08-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

And of course, if you're on a Mac, don't overlook Aperture. For the price, it is amazingly powerful (although it loves RAM - the more the better). And there are a lot of plugins originally designed for Photoshop that now work directly within Aperture.

I use Aperture, and I have to admit that I rarely need to flip out for the round trip to Photoshop much at all, these days. Probably 95% or more of what I need to do is done within Aperture.

Having said that, if it is an Adobe product that you want to get, then Lightroom will do what you need. Photoshop is for specific pixel editing, or creative manipulation.
08-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Lightroom also has presets that are for creative manipulation. I've been playing with them as well. I think you can also get plugins that will help with that too, although I haven't really explored that yet, it's assumption on my part.
08-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
and
Veteran Member

The best is to have both, as unfortunately thats what adobe wants you to so they keep some features out of lightroom so that it wont replace the need for photoshop.

feature wise, all the sliders and basic develip functionality from lightroom is also in camera raw that ships with photoshop and of course photoshop is a lot more powerfull so you will be able to do everything u can do in lightroom and more.

the web, print and slideshow modules of lightroom i personally dont use. but I do like lightroom for organizing and it does a better job than photoshop at being faster to process a lot of photos.

I guess it depends on your needs, some people dont pp so much that they need any more than what lightroom offers.

Id still strongly consider saving and grabbing cs5 later before your eligibility for discount runs out though, I paid full price for mine and it burns...