Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Help with Layer Merge on Photoshop Elements 8

I recently went to a workshop dealing with night photography. The presenter had several great photos that he used the merge layers feature on the full boat Photoshop to create some amazing shots. Specifically he would shoot several frames of the same scene over time and would then merge or blend the layers into one photo in such a way that only the lighest portions of each layer was blended into the final product. Example he shot a frame with 30 second exposure to get a sharp star field then he would shoot a layer with flash to light an object such as a tree or a waterfall and then blend the two with only the lighest portion showing. This resulted in a star field and a well light object in the forground.

I have Photoshop Element 8 and am fairly knowledgeable about layers. I know how to merge layers. But I can't find anything in the program that will allow me to blend/merge multiple layers using only the lighest portion of each layer.

In some situations I could erase most of the unwanted portions of a layer and then merge them. But I can't find a way to marge all of every layer and have only the lightest area on each layer show in the final product.

I am wondering if this is one of those things that only the full Photoshop can do. Does anybody have any advise on how to obtain this effect in Elements?

08-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Press Ctrl + Alt + ~ , or from the "Select" menu choose "Color Range.." and then you can choose Highlights, Shadows or Midtones. I have Photoshop CS2 and not at the comp I'm using right now so the menus might not be accurate or even the same in Photoshop Element 8, but should be similar.
08-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #3

Do you mean layer blending? At the top of the layers palette there should be a drop down box that you can select "lighten" as one of the options. Not sure if it will do what you want but sounds from your description it might be.
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have tried using both of the options that were mentioned and have found that either I don't know where to look or Photoshop Elements 8 does not have the suggested menu options that have been presented.

I can't find any option for color range on the select menu in Elements. Likewise I can't find lighten as any option under the layers menu tab (nor is it located on the layers window).

I really appreciate both people for suggesting the options you did. However, I wonder if these options are limited to Photoshop the full program and aren't on Elements.

If they are on Elements I must be having a brain cramp on trying to follow the instructions.

If anybody has more suggestions I would really appreciate it.

08-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I see. Looks like it's really not available in Elements. I googled it and found a plugin which adds the tool to do it. You need to donate $10 though (EDIT: I re-read the description and found out the donation is not mandatory). And it's for Photoshop Elements 7. Here it is Hidden Power Free Tools for Elements 7 (PC & Mac)

You can however, use Threshold adjusment layer to get the same end result. See this tutorial Photoshop Elements Shadows or Highlights Selection

Just in case it's not very clear, the Select Highlights tool (or Threshold tool) will just make a selection of the lightest part of the active layer. You still need to mask the layer using the selection, then it will 'blend' with the layers below it. So it's not exactly a Layer Blending option and it's not automatic in a sense.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by sajah; 08-17-2010 at 08:20 PM.
08-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The feature you are looking for is not available in Elements but rather the full version of Photoshop. As sajah said, you can add it as an action by installing the extras from the Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements website. You will probably find that getting the book with its detailed instructions will help you use the use the tools.

Another possibility is to open the images in separate layers and manually use quick mask to mask out the part of the images you don't want. With a little practice, this kind of layer blending can be very effective.
08-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much sajah, you certainly went above and beyond the call of duty to help!!!!!! I really appreciate the information you gave.

I also appreciate the mask feature. I have used masking and cut with layers for a long time and it works great for most situations. However, specifically dealing with night photography when I am trying to build a final producte from multiple shots with each layer having many many small areas of light scattered around the from that I want in the final product. Masking and/or cutting sections of layers manually isn't really practical.

I do appreciate all the help with this situation and I am certain that I am going to be checking out those add on options that sajah mentioned.