Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Aperture 3

Im about to Import all my pictures from my old Folder based system in my laptop.

Want i want to do is to copy and at the same time recreate with tags and metadata.

I have it plugged into the iMac, and as i use the Import Files selection i need to chose a location in the dropdown "Store Files". I used the "Aperture Library" option.

After i clicked the "Import Checked" button, i went to Finder to have a look and i couldnt find the pictures.

Now, are they copied onto the iMac hard drive or not??? Are they hidden somewhere only to be accesed by Aperture?

Last edited by the swede; 08-21-2010 at 11:42 PM.
08-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Right click on the Aperture Library.aplibrary file and select Show Package Contents. You will see that they are all there. Don't move anything! Close the window and forget about it.
08-17-2010, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to be able to find your photos on the hard drive, don't import them with the store in Aperture setting. That dumps them inside of the Aperture program and will require you to either find them in the Package Contents, which is awkward or export them from Aperture.

If you have the originals I would delete the Aperture library and reimport with the store in Aperture option unchecked. If you don't have the originals copy them out of the Aperture database.

Right or Control click on the Aperture icon in your Applications folder.
Select Show Package Contents from the popup menu.
Inside the Contents folder you should find your images.
Holding down the Option key, drag the folder to your desktop. That will make a copy of it and leave the originals intact.
Make sure that you do have a duplicate folder with all the images.
Trash the folder in Aperture and re-import.

Aperture and Lightroom sometimes get corrupted preference files. If all your photos are stored inside of Aperture you can lose them. This setup also makes backing your photos only on an external hard drive a royal pain. I've had to help three people who have had troubles with Aperture or iPhoto libraries. iPhoto doesn't give you and option. Aperture will work fine with your images in your regular file system.
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks alot guys!

I will store them in my home/pictures folder and make backup on external hdd.

08-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
If you want to be able to find your photos on the hard drive, don't import them with the store in Aperture setting. That dumps them inside of the Aperture program and will require you to either find them in the Package Contents, which is awkward or export them from Aperture.

If you have the originals I would delete the Aperture library and reimport with the store in Aperture option unchecked. If you don't have the originals copy them out of the Aperture database.

Right or Control click on the Aperture icon in your Applications folder.
Select Show Package Contents from the popup menu.
Inside the Contents folder you should find your images.
Holding down the Option key, drag the folder to your desktop. That will make a copy of it and leave the originals intact.
Make sure that you do have a duplicate folder with all the images.
Trash the folder in Aperture and re-import.

Aperture and Lightroom sometimes get corrupted preference files. If all your photos are stored inside of Aperture you can lose them. This setup also makes backing your photos only on an external hard drive a royal pain. I've had to help three people who have had troubles with Aperture or iPhoto libraries. iPhoto doesn't give you and option. Aperture will work fine with your images in your regular file system.
@MC : I use Aperture 2 and considering the upgrade to 3. Now my photos are in the Aperture Library. Are you saying that it would be wise to store the photos in a separate folder on the HD and have Aperture reference the images? I have wondered which is best. Your post has made me concerned. In this case how do you save/backup the adjustments that are made to the image?
08-20-2010, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tip #0 – Referenced vs. Managed Files | Aperture Users Network
08-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

^thank you. I managed to download the whole list of tips. I will check them out.

Do you know anyway that I can get my Kx RAW files into aperture 2? I know that it is only supported in Aperture 3. There always seems to be a workaround though. I tried to open the files in PPL and then say as a TIFF. But the file was 80MB !!

08-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I managed to import all my pictures to my mac now. I imported them to an location outside Aperture on the mac in folders and created the exact same folder system inside Aperture.

Im happy with that. It retains the "folder thinking ways" from my PC life, but still lets me handle everything from Aperture without getting lost in the old "folder thinking ways".

Regarding the actual master RAW files:

Just to know for sure how things work:

As i PP the master RAW files, Aperture saves the edited version somewhere else, right?

So exept for the files i want to share on the net, i wont need to save/export my files at all, right? The edited pictures are saved in the Aperture brain if i get it.
08-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
^thank you. I managed to download the whole list of tips. I will check them out.

Do you know anyway that I can get my Kx RAW files into aperture 2? I know that it is only supported in Aperture 3. There always seems to be a workaround though. I tried to open the files in PPL and then say as a TIFF. But the file was 80MB !!
Aperture 2 will support K-x RAW files if they are DNG. Aperture 3 supports both DNG and PEF.

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I managed to import all my pictures to my mac now. I imported them to an location outside Aperture on the mac in folders and created the exact same folder system inside Aperture.

Im happy with that. It retains the "folder thinking ways" from my PC life, but still lets me handle everything from Aperture without getting lost in the old "folder thinking ways".

Regarding the actual master RAW files:

Just to know for sure how things work:

As i PP the master RAW files, Aperture saves the edited version somewhere else, right?

So exept for the files i want to share on the net, i wont need to save/export my files at all, right? The edited pictures are saved in the Aperture brain if i get it.
Aperture never touches the master file. All edits are done on a new version. You can create as many versions as you want and you can stack the versions.
08-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Aperture never touches the master file. All edits are done on a new version. You can create as many versions as you want and you can stack the versions.
Thanks!

One more:
What numbers should i look for to find the neutral grey when using the white balance tool?
08-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Thanks!

One more:
What numbers should i look for to find the neutral grey when using the white balance tool?
I watched a tutorial once that said pick a point where the RGB channels have numbers that are as close in number as possible. The ideal would be where the number for R=G=B. Others may want to confirm or correct me on that. The trick is finding that point. Before I thought that I had to have a grey object but in theory it can be any color since we are talking tones and not color.
08-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
MSM
Veteran Member

I take it that it is best to have the images referenced on a external HD or at least not in the aperture library. What is the easiest and safest way to transfer the master images to a external HD and make them referenced. I tried the steps in the #3 post on this thread. I could not find my images in the package contents as described. I am using Aperture 2. (sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread since this is so similar.) When you reimport the images what happens to the previous changes and metadata made? I have images back to 2007 and I would hate to lose all my changes. Thanks.
08-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If any moderator stops by here, i would very much like this thread name to be edited.

A sugestion would be just: "Aperture 3", so we can use the thread for all types of questions regarding Aperture 3
08-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was playing around with the "lift & stamp" tools and they work quite well.

However, what i would like to be able to do is to batch remove an adjustment, for example removing "edge sharpness" from several images or "highlight/shadows" from several images and so on.....

Anyone know if it is possible?
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aperture 3 – Modifying A Batch Of Images RB|Design