Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
PS5 for $299

I have been thinking about upgrading from Photoshop Elements to the Full Photoshop. Up till now the final hurdle has always been the hefty price for Photoshop. But today I got an ad from Adobe in the snail mail that said that I could upgrade from my current Photoshop Elements 8 to full Photoshop PS5for $299. To me this seems like a steal for this deal. I have never seen Adobe offer this deal before. May be ordering a copy of Photoshop this weekend.

They were also offering Lightroom 3 at 30% off. I am less interested in Lightroom. So I don't htink I will take them up on that part of the offer.

08-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That is an incredible price indeed!
Do you know if it's the complete edition(with ACR, Bridge etc etc)?

I guess using Photoshop over LR3(for example) really comes down to what a person want's to do in the end. I happen to think LR is an excellent straight forward solution to storing and developping digital images. But I also know Photoshop is "the tool" when it comes to advanced editing and retouching(and so much more).
08-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might also consider...

I'm using LR3.2 RC linked to PS Elements 8 on Win7 Pro64. I find the combo provides more than enough PP power to suit my current needs. Elements 8 was included "free" with the purchase of my new Wacom Intuos4 Wireless pen tablet. The tablet w/software sells for about the same price you seem willing to pay for CS5. While I'm still quite low on the learning curve, I feel my work flow (and output) is improving and have yet to hit the limits of this set-up. At last I feel like I'm getting a grip on the slippery PP phase of this game. At some future point I'll post my impressions. In the meantime... no complaints.

Cheers...
08-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats a good price. If you you use the features in PS5, its worth it. plenty of free tutorials on it also.

08-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
JohnBee-From what I can tell from the Ad its the complete PS5, I know its not the PS5 extended package, but it appears to be the full boat Photoshop.

Michaelina, I don't have any experience with Lightroom, but I currently use Elements 8 (which is why they sent me he add for PS5). I really enjoy Elements, I like the organizer and the editor does probably 90% of what I want. But there are some things just as really refined layer work and 16 bit color processing that Elements just can't do.

Thus far I have been using the RAW converter in Elements to load images into the editor. I have been reading about processors such as Noise Ninja and other clones as an option for really fine work.

I Haven't made up my mind on if i am going to go for the PS5 offer or not. It seems like a really good price point to jump up to the best editing software there is. And I know some in the forum would disagree with me, but I find that I get a lot of real enjoyment out of working with my photo in post production.
08-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're interested in taking it on, full blown photoshop does things (as you note) that you just cannot do now. The layer capabilities alone make that software a joy to use (to me).

I would jump on the offer but that's just me.