Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Software for Mac - Suggestions Needed

I've been shooting digital for about four years, beginning with a PAS and then using my Pentax DSLR since late 2009. Almost all of my PP has been simple stuff -- curves, levels, contrast, saturation, sharpening -- and I've done 99.9% of it with GraphicConverter. My computer is a Mac, and in addition to GC I have the latest version of Gimp for Mac.

Now I'd like to do more with PP to bring out the most in my photos, and I'd like to explore the artistic side of processing. I'm a bit frustrated with Gimp, which is awkward on Mac, and because online tutorials which I've dredged up sometimes just don't seem to bear much resemblance to what I've got loaded.

All this boils down to is the realization that it might be time for me to buy software which will allow me to go further than I can with GraphicConverter, and which will be better integrated for my OS than Gimp. It would be great to use software which has a lot of support in the form of online tutorials and hardcopy books. I would love to go the whole hog and get Photoshop, but can't afford it.

So the question is, does Elements allow you to do any advanced PP, eg, beyond what I've mentioned (curves, contrast, sat...)? Are there other alternatives? Or am I giving up on Gimp too soon? Advice from folks who know more than I do about this is appreciated.

08-23-2010, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Image Edit / Optimize / Convert - Design / Graphics - Mac OS X - Software Updates - VersionTracker

Download the trials of Photoshop Elements, Pixelmator, and Aperture 3. Look through the Image Edit section of Versiontracker and see what else is available.
08-23-2010, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Elements 8 would work well for you and many of the Photoshop plug-ins work too.
08-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, Boris, and for the suggestion about Elements, Ahab. I'll give those trials a go and see which I like.

Last edited by Tamia; 08-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.
08-24-2010, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

I will recomend Aperture 3. I went from Elements to Aperture and couldnt be happier!

I didnt have the time or patience to learn the heavy layer stuff that the Photoshop world can do. But if you go that direction and have the time and patience, you will be able to do Anything. If you'll only do it half way, then you might as well look to the Aperture/Lightroom type of editing.

Aperture.
Making adjustments is FAST, and most of them can be brushed onto the picture with "edge detection". The "edge detection" and brushes are Very usefull and does the same things basic layers in Elements does, but way faster.

Organizing.
This is also completely different with Aperture. One can do it in two ways here. Either stick to the "old ways" spending time on organizing them on the drive, and let Aperture handle the "versions" (the edited ones).

Or, do it the "modern" way. Import the files straight into Aperture and Aperture keeps them hidden away, and lets you organize them in all the ways you can think of within the program.

I have a folder structure inside Aperture, so why have one on the drive? Its really faster and its a blessing to once and for all get rid of the time consuming "folder" work from the old PC days.

just my two cents

Last edited by the swede; 08-24-2010 at 08:52 AM.
08-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your detailed assessment of Aperture, Swede. I'll give the trial version a go along with Elements and see what I think of layers vs not having them. Must say I find them a tad confusing, not the concept, but their use (at least in Gimp). Thanks again for taking time to describe Aperture so well.