Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WAH! Unknown or Invalid JPEG Marker

There are about 25 shots of my recent trip To The Keys which won't open in Photoshop, with the above warning. One ALMOST opened, but only gave me like 10% of the top of the image.

The photos prior to them are okay, as are the 20 or so after them. Any ideas? Corrupted segment of the card maybe?

08-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried opening them in GraphicConverter? And I would definitely format the card.
08-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Have you tried opening them in GraphicConverter? And I would definitely format the card.
I didn't try that, but I will.

I did try to import one into Quark, and same thing--only the top 10% of the image.

I suspect they're toast.
08-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry for your problem. What does the Windows Explorer viewer do with the bad images? If you are a Mac guy then...nevermind. If they are important to you I would not format the card quite yet. Last pull from the card I would do by deleting the images then using a utility, like the free one with Sandisk cards, to pull the image from the deleted stack. Since that utility does not even have the name, I wonder if it is more of a raw (not RAW) copy that might work differently.

good luck bud.

08-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had this happen recently. It was the card. I shot a test series with the suspect card and one i knew was good. The suspect gave me a few half filled frames and a few perfect images. I did a reformat of the bad card and tried it again and it was fine but i am not using it for any 'serious' photo work. its a nuisance and can be a disaster when you lose your pics. replacing the cards has now become a routine for me
08-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Funny thing is, I had a brand-new card with me--just didn't use it.

Maybe a good lesson for me to start shooting Raw + JPEG.
08-24-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BEFORE you give up, try salvaging the images with Photorec. This little free program which runs on almost any operating system (Windows, Mac and Linux) will sometimes even rescue drives that are toast! Even if you have already formatted the card, Photorec will be able to get some images off it.

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

PhotoRec is free - this open source multi-platform application is distributed under GNU General Public License. PhotoRec is a companion program to TestDisk, an app for recovering lost partitions on a wide variety of file systems and making non-bootable disks bootable again. You can download them from this link.

For more safety, PhotoRec uses read-only access to handle the drive or memory card you are about to recover lost data from. Important: As soon as a pic or file is accidentally deleted, or you discover any missing, do NOT save any more pics or files to that memory device or hard disk drive; otherwise you may overwrite your lost data. This means that while using PhotoRec, you must not choose to write the recovered files to the same partition they were stored on.