Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LR3.2 Final RTM is out...

I just fired up LR3 and got the notice that LR3.2 production release/update is out and am downloading it as I type. I have been running LR3.2RC for a while but did not see any improvements in speed for the areas I was having probs, spot/healing and brush tools.

We'll see if the final release of LR3.2 has improvements in those tools for me. I know other folks are having probs with rendering of thumbnails and such...I did not have those fuzzy thumbs or previews so I feel lucky about that.

Anyway here is the link:
Adobe - Latest Product Updates

BTW, if you have not bought LR3 yet as I under stand it, even if you already used up your LR3 30-day trial with every 3.x release you can get a new 30-trail period, which, is actually pretty nice...who knew Adobe could be nice at something. hehehehe...

08-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I just fired up LR3 and got the notice that LR3.2 production release/update is out and am downloading it as I type. I have been running LR3.2RC for a while but did not see any improvements in speed for the areas I was having probs, spot/healing and brush tools.

We'll see if the final release of LR3.2 has improvements in those tools for me. I know other folks are having probs with rendering of thumbnails and such...I did not have those fuzzy thumbs or previews so I feel lucky about that.

Anyway here is the link:
Adobe - Latest Product Updates

BTW, if you have not bought LR3 yet as I under stand it, even if you already used up your LR3 30-day trial with every 3.x release you can get a new 30-trail period, which, is actually pretty nice...who knew Adobe could be nice at something. hehehehe...
I'm still trying to hold out long enough that they'll offer me one of their "deals" on Lightroom. I'll probably try the 30 day trial when I have a wedding to shoot in late October, so hopefully they have all the kinks ironed out by then
08-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
don't blame ya...if I had not already spent so much time using LR3 even with all it's quirky-bugginess I would likely to the same.

I will say I spent about an hour today making adjustments using the spot/brush tools and did not have any of the slowdowns I had before, even using LR3.2RC. I know it's only about a dozen shots I mucked around with plus I lowered the preview size to 1024 and also the quality from "high" to "medium" because, well, that's OK until I want to edit the thing. That might have helped perk up the performance a bit as well.

Oh, I am using the x64 version of LR3.2 but was close to falling back to either the x32 or LR2.7 versions had the 3.2 update not been out so soon.

But, I think so far that this official release fixed a huge portion of the bugs that I was bumping into. However that's not to say it will be so for everyone because there were so darned many variations reported everywhere. But what the heck, you get a 30-Day Trial every time they release a subversion update so I don't see a down side to trying it now for a month or less if it's a problem on your system. At least you will know what wasn't working if you do still have issues on your system running it...and that is a "generic" you not you meaning you as in not specifically you yourself. hehehehe...I need a job with Adobe I think...
09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks to everyone for the information on the formal 3.2 release. I must have a high tolerance for pain because i recognize some of the symptoms you are describing, but the preliminary 3.2 seemed to help. there are some occasional waits but not as bad as the original 3. running 64 bit on a duocore Toshiba laptop (which worries me more than LR frankly). Also been using medium quality previews, but just recently went to high quality. After reading this, might back down :-)

I've set LR to do a cat backup and optimization everytime i close LR. That might be helping me as well.

09-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nice to read it's doing a bit better for ya Phil. I am still mixed but feel it's improved. I never ran into the issue of problems some were having moving images into PS as I am still on PS/CS3.

I never thought to have LR do the backup/optimization every time I exit but ya know, might not be a bad idea you have there...will give it a try.

I too am running on a laptop, mine is a bit old HP nx9420 but has a T7400 C2D (2.16Ghz), a very old ATI Radon x1600 w/256mb, and added HDD space with a main 500GB HDD and a 1TB drive in an adapter where my DVD drive should be but it runs over an IDE bus as the DVD was still IDE not SATA2 but it is far faster than USB options. So the larger drive is simply for backups and most everything I use resides on the primary drive. So my system is likely not any stronger than yours hardware wise...I do love my 17" panel and full keyboard though... Now if we could only get that neural interface they promised us decades ago!! hehehehe...I wanna live in The Matrix because the "real" world kinda blows these days!!

Hope things even out on the performance thing. Oh, I read something over on the Adobe LR forum where someone decided to setup cached 1:1 previews. I assume that means slower imports but once done that could help as well, unless it's still more than the video subsystem can handle fast as we would like. I still think it's the algorithms Adobe used in LR at the heart of the matter.
09-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

L3.2 is doing well here too - so far. Overall responsiveness has improved quite a bit. This is on a quad-core (Q9550) desktop PC with 8GB and Win7/64.