Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photosmart Problem

I have am HP Photosmart D7560, and besides being an inkaholic, it actually does an outstanding job on photos, but a few days ago, it quit printing normal jobs, such as documents. It still prints 8X10 photos at max quality.
But on normal printing, it runs the paper through without touching it with ink.
Could it be stuck somehow on the thick photo paper setting, and if so, how can I fix it?

08-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ron,
Did you perform a power reset of the printer? Sometimes that's all it takes. Since it prints photos, perhaps one of your document-oriented print driver presets is corrupted?

M
09-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Miguel. I'm trying that as I type.
09-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had something like that happen with the 7200, which would print a very nice impressionistic version of my photos until reset.

My other major problem with these printers is syncing them with the screen. PS requires a very significant gamma adjustment to print properly.

09-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's why a hardware-based calibration tool is used to establish a baseline for accurate color, contrast, and luminance that the monitor will reflect. From this point, image processing software can output good prints consistently without guessing and tweaking.

M

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I had something like that happen with the 7200, which would print a very nice impressionistic version of my photos until reset.

My other major problem with these printers is syncing them with the screen. PS requires a very significant gamma adjustment to print properly.
09-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This cheap printer has produced 8X10 prints as good as I can get anywhere from a lab, but when I add up the cost of the ink and quality paper, I'm really not saving much. I have, however, had a problem on just a few images printing too dark.
I tried resetting the printer as suggested, but that didn't work.
Do you think it would be a good idea to uninstal the software and reinstall it?
09-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ron,
(I assume you are still referring to your original problem, not that of having prints too dark?)
You can spend the time reinstalling the software, but since it works to some degree, I would set my expectations of success fairly low.
What kind of computer OS and software are you using?
I assume the latest version of the drivers are installed?

My guess is that your default print settings got messed up some how. HP drivers are very poorly written. They used to be excellent, but that was over a decade ago.

I wish I had a clever fix for you. Did you check out the HP forum on the HP site?

M

09-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using a Dell with XP. Not sure about the software: whatever came with the printer. If I remember correctly, there wasn't even a disk, but a download directly from the printer. I've had it a couple of years, and it worked fine until now. I have printed quite a few 8X10s from it though.
09-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ron,
In that case I would determine if I had the latest printer drivers updates installed. On the HP site it appears that there were communications issues that may or may not be related to your problems.
Definitely worth your time.

M