Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanning software recommendations?

I recently bought a Canon 9000f to scan some old negatives and to possibly shoot some more film. Any recommendations on film scanning software I should buy to get the most out of my scanning? I've heard Silverfast is good, but what version of that software is the best? Any other software out there that gives Silverfast a run for its money?

Thanks.

08-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I can't say what is the best. I've only used a few. But I currently use VueScan Pro version. It doesn't have a very good interface as far as intuitiveness is concerned but once you get past that it does have some good features such as multi-sampling and multi-scans, can pick films by brand to scan, can calibrate a profile and can output a DNG file that you can edit in a raw editor. So all I can say about it is that it will get the job done and yield good results.
08-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Silverfast does not support the 9000f.

SilverFast for Nikon Scanner :: LaserSoft Imaging

I use VueScan Pro. There really isn't any other third party scanner software that is worth using.
08-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Silverfast does not support the 9000f.

SilverFast for Nikon Scanner :: LaserSoft Imaging

I use VueScan Pro. There really isn't any other third party scanner software that is worth using.
I think maybe you looked in the wrong place. Silverfast does support the 9000f:
SilverFast for Canon CanoScan 9000F :: LaserSoft Imaging
Whether it is worth the price is another matter entirely. What I would suggest to the OP is that they download the Silverfast and VueScan demo versions and see how they work in comparison to whatever Canon supplied with the scanner.

Steve

08-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I swore it said Nikon not Canon

Whatever you choose it will be better than the Canon SW.
08-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I swore it said Nikon not Canon

Whatever you choose it will be better than the Canon SW.
I certainly hope so!

Thanks for the responses guys.
09-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scanning software

I second the recommendation for Vuescan. I have an Epson V700 which came with both Epson and Silverfast software; after using all three for a time, I found Vuescan fit my style of working best. Of course, your mileage may vary.