Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

When did Capture One get so high priced??

So, I bought new Panasonic GF1 for light carry when I don't want to lug the Pentax system around. A very nice little camera, by the way. My version of Phase One Capture One does not support the Panasonic raw format. It has been a while since I last upgraded, but when I saw the prices, I was floored. No cheap upgrade for my LE version from two years ago, so I would need to buy the whole new package for 399.00! Man, I like this raw converter but this price seems crazy. A lot of others do too. I have instead installed the included copy of Silky Pix which I find to be just fine.

Free is good. I wonder why these programs are getting so expensive?

Larry

09-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
So, I bought new Panasonic GF1 for light carry when I don't want to lug the Pentax system around. A very nice little camera, by the way. My version of Phase One Capture One does not support the Panasonic raw format. It has been a while since I last upgraded, but when I saw the prices, I was floored. No cheap upgrade for my LE version from two years ago, so I would need to buy the whole new package for 399.00! Man, I like this raw converter but this price seems crazy. A lot of others do too. I have instead installed the included copy of Silky Pix which I find to be just fine.

Free is good. I wonder why these programs are getting so expensive?

Larry
there is C1 Pro and C1... C1 Pro is USD $399 (if no promotions/upgrades) and C1 regular version is USD $129 (if no promotions/upgrades)...

http://www.phaseone.com/Phase%20One/Try-and-buy/Online-Store.aspx

some topic(s) @ P1's forum :: http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7670&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 09-07-2010 at 12:09 PM.
09-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The pro version of Capture One has always been pricey. It also gives results that you can't get with other programs, though the latest generation of Adobe Camera Raw is close.

People working at the very high end of any craft are generally willing to pay extra for an incremental improvement in results. For the average photographer, Capture One is overkill. For a working pro, it may mean the difference between a thrilled client and one who is merely satisfied.
09-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

40% off

Capture Integration - Your Phase One, Leaf, Leica Canon, Apple, Eizo, Cambo, LaCie Dealer