Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Applying Lens corrections using Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4?

Hi,

I have a PEF that I want to apply lens corrections to. Is that possible in the Pentax supplied software. When I try, the displayed pic turns all black and if I save it, I end up with a black JPG. Clicking 'Remove Parameter change" puts it back to normal.

I must be doing something wrong...

Nige.

09-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nige,
I cannot comment on PEF shot, but I have used successfully PDCU with RAW PNG and JPEG files.

However beware the lens distortion correction should only be applied to zoom lens photo. Most prime lenses have nil to negligible distortion. What lens(es) do you use ?

An alternative is the software PTLens. It is an excellent lens distortion correction software, well-liked, well-priced and very efficient: PTLens. Highly recommended.

Typically I use PDCU for light lens distortion correction because I do my PP with PDCU. For heavy lens distortion correction, I prefer PTLens for the quality and accuracy of the results.

Hope that the comments will help.
09-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
I have a PEF that I want to apply lens corrections to. Is that possible in the Pentax supplied software. When I try, the displayed pic turns all black and if I save it, I end up with a black JPG. Clicking 'Remove Parameter change" puts it back to normal.
Nige,

I didn't have the black image problem but I gave up too.

I couldn't apply corrections in DCU4 to my raws and stopped my attempts with the impression that the feature is unavailable with raws shot without correction enabled in camera.

And shooting raws with correction enabled in camera is a joke because you have to await the large processing delay just for the preview image ...
09-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies. I used a 16-45/4 at 18mm.

I tried an old version of RawTherapee which allowed me to do it manually, but it would be nice if the automatic version worked as intended