Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

How to create a simple photosite?

I want to develop my personal photosite. Could anybody give me an advice or a recommendation?

Now I have most of my photos at Flickr, and I like it. But I want to have something more personal, with my webdesign, a few static pages, blog, etc... I've contacted a few web-programmers and it seems this is expensive and long job. But I'm not a top-class professional to pay thousands of dollars.

On the other hand I found two service providers:
- Albolio : Home
- Pullfolio :: Instant Professional Portfolio Site from your Flickr Photos
Both are very cheap and can create a personal photosite based on my Flickr account.
Have anybody used these services? What are pro and cons?

Is there another alternative?

09-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my photo site, Mosphotos.com :: Photography by Adam and Ole Oest (yes, I'm a programmer, so there has been some customization), I use a piece of software called PHPAlbum to display my albums. All the user really has to do is upload his/her photos to a folder on the web server, and PHP album will automatically process the photos and create a web album. In-browser, you can then index and name the albums, and there's a huge deal of flexibility.

This is the same software as PBase uses, and it's free (GNU) software.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Squarespace

Have you looked at Squarespace? They offer a free 14 day trial and seems to be very customizable. They have flickr and twitter widgets that lets you put that content on your blog.
09-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Create stunning web photo albums with Jalbum. Publish to any site.

09-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your advices! I know Jalbum. That is just another soсial site, but I need someting personal. I will try to play with Squarespace. Maybe that would be the right choise for my needs...
09-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Sezam - I am interested in what you come up with, let us know which way you decide to go.
09-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for advices! I tried different ideas and services, and after all I've stoped at Albolio. This is exactly what I was looking for. Something basic and easy to get me started. It's free to use and it loaded all my Flickr pictures. I did this quick one in 10 minutes: Sergey Zamkovoy : Home

09-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sezam Quote
Thanks everybody for advices! I tried different ideas and services, and after all I've stoped at Albolio. This is exactly what I was looking for. Something basic and easy to get me started. It's free to use and it loaded all my Flickr pictures. I did this quick one in 10 minutes: Sergey Zamkovoy : Home
If Albolio works for you, you might try Flickriver. It at least will give you a way to use your larger file sizes. The option is on the top left of the page. There is no real setup , just a few options on how to show your flickr photostream. If you just go with the defaults all you have to do is authorize the application like with the other sites you liked to in your first post.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-17-2010 at 02:11 PM.
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you Russel, but I do not like the design of Flickriver. I mean when all my photostream is trying to be shown on one page. Albolio is looking like a standard website. Plus there are many nice modes of viewing photos (I like carousel) and different site templates...
09-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sezam Quote
Thank you Russel, but I do not like the design of Flickriver. I mean when all my photostream is trying to be shown on one page. Albolio is looking like a standard website. Plus there are many nice modes of viewing photos (I like carousel) and different site templates...
OK, so resize your photos to something below 900 pixels then so that flicker doesn't resize the medium size so small. As long as it is under 900, flickr seems to display the medium size as the original size. Albolio seems to also use the medium size so this should get rid of the stamp size photos

Thank you
Russell
09-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use slideshow pro director...
09-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Raylon

I use smugmug. It's not the cheapest, but I also use it as a backup site for most of my photos. Plus it looks extremely professional and has tons of customizability. Let me know I can get some discounts for you for being a member.
09-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've used a relatively new British start-up called BaseKit to build my site. While photos are one of the main components, I also wanted to be able to display some of my writing and voice over work (sections which I'm still populating with content).

While the image support is still pretty rudimentary (offering carousels that can auto-advance, simple lightboxes, and rollover images for links and so on), they have an option to add custom javascript.

If you're looking to create a mixed media site, I can certainly recommend them. Aside from adding features every couple of weeks, their support is excellent. I've never waited more than a couple of hours for a support query to be resolved.

You can see examples of the carousel here: | images | craigwilson.net | and examples of the lightbox functionality in any of the sub categories.

As per an earlier poster, if anyone wants to get a full-service one month trial, drop me a mail and I can send you a referral link that'll give you full functionality without forking out up front.

This does prompt me to ask a question of my own though - does anyone know where I can find something that'll allow me to make a pan/zoom gallery with javascript alone? Is that even possible, or are they all flash based?