Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #1

CS3 - upgrade to CS5 or just get Elements 8

Well I found a discount store to purchase CS3 Extended from the other night as my version of Photoshop was version 7 (Haven't change in a long, long time...)

So I did that in hopes to upgrade to CS5....(Couldn't do the upgrade with 7)

But now the more I look at it and think about it I'm thinking of just getting Element 8 as I can pick that up at a store today for $79 (on--sale) and then use the CS3E for when I want to delve deeper into an image....

Plus then I get the organizer etc.

Or should I just bite the bullet and get the CS5 program now for the $200 upgrade price.....

Driving me nuts thinking about it, but the biggest reason right now for me looking at it is to organize everything.

Or I could spend nothing further and keep using Picassa and the CS3 that I just bought.

Suggestions anyone?

TJ

09-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't imagine buying up to CS5 when my main requirement is organizing which is a big chunk of PE8. If CS5 does not fill any requirements you can't fill with PE8 and 7, sounds like like you made a decision. But there is something to be said for the simplicity of using a single editor instead of two. I stuck with PE8 and just bought a couple plug-ins to give the NR, curves control and batch scripting to fill my requirements.
09-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went from CS3 to CS4 to CS5 (all Master Collections though) which included Adobe Bridge which is great for organizing.

But on to the Photoshops. From CS3 to CS4 I was very pleased with the improvements. The addition of the clarity tool was huge for me. I think that really can add to a picture. The CA correction seems to be a bit better at actually removing the CA. Actually now that I think about it, it would take me a page or 2 to state all of the improvements from CS3 to CS4 BUT I can tell you that the improvements from CS4 to CS5 are not worth the price. They added a 3D picture tool that can be fun to play with (if you can figure it out).

So to sum up I would try and get CS4, Master collection if you can since you wanted something to organize your photos too. If you cannot then upgrade to CS4 and continue to use Picassa to organize and if at all possible skip CS5.

Oh yeah, and I do not use Elements so I cannot compare but I love CS4 (I currently use CS5 but it is pretty much exactly the same).
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, I would go right to CS5 if I go that route, not CS4, but the regular retail upgrade as it has the bride as well, not sure what else you get with the master collection but the standard releases already have more than what I would probably ever need...

Will have to ponder it and see what else others have to say....

Keep the comments coming...

TJ

09-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well I think I will leave well enough alone for now and stay with CS3 as CS5 doesn't do facial recognition any way, mat still pick up elements 8 but picasa seems to work fine for that as well....
09-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
The addition of the clarity tool was huge for me. I think that really can add to a picture.
For those that don't have a version of PS with a clarity tool, try unsharp mask with an amount of 8-10% and a radius of 50%.
09-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjslayer Quote
I'm thinking of just getting Element 8 as I can pick that up at a store today for $79 (on--sale)... Or should I just bite the bullet and get the CS5 program now for the $200 upgrade price...
if it is like $121 dollars difference than full functionality of ACR 6.x raw converter that will you get with CS5 is certainly worth it alone