Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #1

New to CS2 how do I do this?

Hey folks!

I am a new user to Adobe CS2 and was wondering if someone could make a suggestion here.

I have the full suite and was wondering which program would be best for the following:

I play in local ball hockey league. They are really trying to promote themselves and I've done some photos for them of games being played.

They have a tourney coming up in a few weeks, and they were wondering about making "hockey cards" for the players in that tourney (especially the kiddies). How can I make a border around a photo to make it look like a hockey card? Would Photoshop be best here or one of the other suite programs?

I'm thinking of doing them larger than an actual card - 4X6, so there is a little more detail, and easier to frame.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

09-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only use Photoshop, not the whole suite, but everything you describe can be one in Photoshop very easily.
09-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Programs to use...

I am a full time graphic designer, and this is what I would recomend. Borders are easily created in illustrator. There are tons of samples to choose from, but if none of those look any good you can always make your own.(Usually what I do)

Now because you will be creating a few different cards I would use Indesign for placing in each picture and whatever text you decide to use. You can place the Illustrator file into Indesign and use it as a master page, where from then on all new pages will automaticlly have you border. Indesign is a page layout program and if used correctly it will be your best bet.

hoped this helped
09-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #4

As a full time graphic designer I agree with slugtaco with a caveat.

Illustrator is specifically for vector graphics, if you want your border to be a real photo of something like wood etc. you can do that in photoshop but make sure its at a higher resolution.

Basically you use InDesign to bring all of your elements together, photos touched up in Photoshop, borders in Illustrator etc. ( Some of the Illustrator functionality can be done in InDesign but I find it easier keeping it in Illy.) And lay them out for multipage printing.

In this way you dont have to create individual illustrator files for each card. InDesign references the one border graphic but uses it multiple times.

09-08-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

simple border

morning sting.......as you didn't specify what type of border you want to place around you pics i will assume a simple white edge will do......since you said you are new to cs2 suite i will also assume you are not as skilled as you would like to be......so for simplicity,........start bt making sure the color in your background/foreground box on the toolbar to the left is white or 'whatever' color you want your border to be...........to place a simple white border around your card.....when all processing is finished simply go into >image >canvas size....tick the relative box........change inches to pixels....(I normally use a setting of 4, but vary from time to time).......hit o.k. and Shazaam ! you have a simple white border........here is a link that should provide you with some info , chk under tutorials.....http://www.photoshopuser.com..........(attached is image with sample of border created this way........if you are looking for something more sophisticated view thru the tutorials and i am sure you will find it......too, as mentioned illustrator does awesome work, but again i think you indicated that you are new to photoshop so illustrator may be out of the question.......good luck, and if you need further info, feel free to contact me.....by the way, you may also want to look into how to create an action as you can set up the process so that you simply click to apply it as opossed to repeating the steps a hundred times......g.l. unfortuneately the border is white and doesn't show so i will change the color .....

Last edited by gpaual; 11-08-2007 at 08:47 AM.
09-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gpaual Quote
you may also want to look into how to create an action as you can set up the process so that you simply click to apply it as opossed to repeating the steps a hundred times
I am not a knowledgeable user of CS but would have to agree and was going to suggest an Action. Easy to record and can I believe, be batched.
10-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Well if our new member 'Sting' won't reply I will! I am new to CS2 and I tried your advice for placing a frame around a picture and it worked. Thank you!