Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom3 The one I essentially only use these days. I have elements and I gotta say for editing IMO LightRoom kicks butt!
I also use Nik software complete edition in conjunction with my LR3.

09-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'd just bite the bullet and buy Lightroom 3 if you're a Windows user. If you're a mac user then either that or Aperture. Both a focussed on workflow and image management, although the editting tools have become very very good now in the latest versions.
09-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LR3 is indeed an excellent app but, as a current LR3 user who has run into the odd slowness that came only after the official release version which has been somewhat addressed in LR3.2 but not fully, I would never tell anyone to jump into LR3.x feet first without a 30-day trial, especially using the adjustment brush as well as the spot tools. This is where my particular system is bogging down if I am not observant. it is a memory issue because closing down the program then opening it back up lets me work for another 10-mins or so on the same image before I start to see issues again.

And it has been shown there is not a hardware barrier but some other confluence of factors as yet unidentified by anyone because identical hardware can have the same issues. I even found a few folks who had side by side twin systems so to quiet the naysayers they swapped RAM as one system worked FINE but the other had problems...and many folks were adamant it was the "poor" quality of the RAM, that got blown out of the water, then they swapped CPU's leaving the RAM swapped and nope that was not it...ditto for the graphics card....one by one they swapped hardware save for the HDD...but a clean Win7 x64 Ultimate install did nothing to improve the issue. Plus the issue crosses platforms. Soooo, for LR3.x I say running the trial very hard for 30-days is extremely important in case that person is one of the "lucky" ones...it's frustrating for me because I LOVE the new LR rendering and editing, it is slicker than snot...but, I have to be cautious with a few of the very tools I love the most.

BTW, those same tools work fine in ACR 6.x but because LR3 does things on an, apparently, higher level there are caveats...
09-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

After using camera branded software, Picasa was an improvement. Lightroom 3 is much more powerful, though. I bought an inexpensive license thebay.

09-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I know everyone says Picasa for beginnings because it's free, but there's an alternative that I believe people aren't considering.

Windows Live Photo Gallery. Free for XP and beyond, but best with Vista and 7 (as it comes with additional Windows Live Tools).

Windows Live Photo Gallery is easier to use and has a more logical layout imo. Program loads fast and runs efficient, reads a good amount of exif info, easy to tag photos, offers more adjustments than picasa (a great selection for beginners), provides unlimited undo, even offers a revert button for going back to the original AFTER you save it.

With that said, you do lose out on the healing brush in Picasa and some special effects, but it's honestly not a huge sacrifice if you're a photographer and not a graphic artist.

Photoshop, even in elements form can be quite a learning curve. I feel it's a natural progression for users after they understand how post processing can affect exposure (contrast, brightness, color temperature, shadow and highlight clipping, etc.)
09-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

photoscape is free. PC only.
10-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Lightroom is overkill for a beginner. Picasa is free but you'll outgrow it. Try Elements. Even if you eventually decide you need Lightroom, there are things it can't do that you'll need some form of Photoshop for. Elements has you covered there. Besides you can do almost all Lightroom adjustments with Adobe Camera Raw, which comes with Elements.

The new version of Elements adds adjustment layers, which makes it an extremely valuable tool that will take years to outgrow.

10-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

mysticcowboy is right. There is nothing as far as actual editing is concerned that that you can do in Lightroom that can not be done in Elements, but the reverse is far from true.
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I've used PS for many years. Every once in a while I download and test something else. Up until now, nothing beat PS, but a few months ago I started using ACDSee and it is now my main software. Easier and faster than PS (even though I'm quite familiar with it), and seems to be very compatable with Pentax, while I believe the other softwares are designed primarily for Nikon and Canon.
I find ACDSee so good, I run images previously processed with PS through ACDSee before sending them out for publication.
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #25

Free Photo Editing Software

I was surprised to see amongst discussion of Photo Editing software, especially when Google's Picasso appeared and photoscape, that there was no mention of my hands-down favorite, Gimp.
Its freely distributed image manipulation software, that for my money is every bit as capable as photoshop, without the expense and proprietary inevitability of paid updates. Albeit, 8 bit rather than 16 bit capability.
I guess that makes a difference, but I don't know who can see it.

Last edited by nelsh; 10-05-2010 at 10:43 AM.
10-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tried Pentax and now trying Picasa

We'll see where this goes. Thanks for all the input guys.
10-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nelsh Quote
Albeit, 8 bit rather than 16 bit capability.
If you do your WB, exposure, colour & contrast manipulation in your raw converter, you're getting the benefits of 16-bit data. Then you can use The GIMP for further stuff like geometric correction for buildings (love the way the GIMP does this), output downsizing or USM where 8-bit is fine. Although you can much of this stuff in the raw converter.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-05-2010 at 01:18 PM.
10-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
LR3 is indeed an excellent app but, as a current LR3 user who has run into the odd slowness that came only after the official release version which has been somewhat addressed in LR3.2 but not fully, I would never tell anyone to jump into LR3.x feet first without a 30-day trial, especially using the adjustment brush as well as the spot tools. This is where my particular system is bogging down if I am not observant. it is a memory issue because closing down the program then opening it back up lets me work for another 10-mins or so on the same image before I start to see issues again.

..it's frustrating for me because I LOVE the new LR rendering and editing, it is slicker than snot...but, I have to be cautious with a few of the very tools I love the most.

BTW, those same tools work fine in ACR 6.x but because LR3 does things on an, apparently, higher level there are caveats...
I had increasing problems iwth the adjustment brush in LR3.2Beta, but when i installed the final 3.2, the problems went away. Strange trying reconcile with your report. Hope Adobe solves it for you soon.
10-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I have little experience developing RAW on the computer, but am determined to use it more as I've seen first hand the quality difference it can bring. I think that the Pentax software is poor, with very few funcions. RAW Therapee, a free program, is better. I've toyed with GIMP too, but not enough to judge it.

LR is always there tempting me, but the price is extremely steep.
10-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #30
Forum Member

What I did was start with Photoshop Elements (I think my first version was 2 or 3). I upgraded to newer versions as the product got better and my knowledge increased. Finally this year I made the jump to Photoshop CS5.

There are some really good free editing softward programs out there (Picasa or GIMP come to mind). But in the end I think that Elements just does a better job and will help you to start building a fund of knowledge that can grow with you into full blown Photoshop if you do ever get to the point where you need it. I wouldn't upgrade Elements every single time a new version comes out, only when the new product has a feature you really need.
Just my two cents.