Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best post processing program for a newbie?

Looking to play with some of the shots I get but dont know where to start.

09-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm just a hobbyist, and have been using Adobe Elements 5 for a few years. I find it easy to use, and produces very good results. Adobe Elements is now up to version 8 and is affordable. Also, there are a lot of tutorial books and online advice to help you learn as you go along.
09-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming that you have the Pentax software, you might give it a go for starters.
09-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Start with Adobe Photoshop Elements and when you have grown to the point that you need more, upgrade to the full version of Photoshop.

09-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Are you on a Mac or a PC?

For a complete beginner, I'd suggest Picasa (free, from Google, and works on both Mac and PC).

If you have a Mac, it came with iPhoto, which is fine for most people wanting to tweak their snapshots.

Photoshop Elements is also very good, and I agree with the above posters, with one exception - Elements for the Mac does NOT include the browser/organiser module for some strange reason.

Why not give Picasa a go - it's free after all?

Picasa 3: Free download from Google
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok looks like Adobe Photoshop elements 8 or 9

And $20 for a tutorial program. Thanks guys.
09-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I suggest downloading the 30-day trial before buying any Adobe software...that way you can try, say, Elements first then Lightroom and then maybe Photoshop if you want....and if you are or know a student you can always buy the educational version. Adobe makes enough off everyone. Nice thing about the student version of LR is it is upgradeable when new versions come out. I bet Elements are the same.

But I would try all the demo/trial versions I could were I you...and I was a few years ago and did just that, got the 30-day trials. In fact I was able to try LR for a long time because they had a couple subversion updates followed by LR2 which gave me a 3rd 30-day trial. In between I tried other free options...but kept ending up back at LR and PS3 (PS3 Extended is enough for me for a long time).
09-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Are you on a Mac or a PC?

For a complete beginner, I'd suggest Picasa (free, from Google, and works on both Mac and PC).

If you have a Mac, it came with iPhoto, which is fine for most people wanting to tweak their snapshots.

Photoshop Elements is also very good, and I agree with the above posters, with one exception - Elements for the Mac does NOT include the browser/organiser module for some strange reason.

Why not give Picasa a go - it's free after all?

Picasa 3: Free download from Google
Version 9 of Elements does include the browser/organiser.

09-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Adobe Elements is easy to use, reasonably priced and has a 30 day free trial so you can check it out. If you're broke, you can download the Gimp which is open source. For quick, simple editing there is also the free Picasa.
09-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys

Going to try the free trial while find a good price on version 8 or 9.
09-27-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In my opinion you should try the demo/trial version of all available raw development softwares and see which suits you the best. Only you can decide what works for you, so don't just blindly follow others' suggestions to use software X.
09-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Paint shop pro suited all my photographic needs as a photo editing program after RAW conversion. I tried Photoshop but just couldn't get used to it and besides. Also most of Photoshop tutorials can be applied in Paint Shop Pro. It costs as much as Elements.
09-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Assuming that you have the Pentax software, you might give it a go for starters.
+1
PDCU is quite a reasonable software. It is quite powerful and you might like it. Why not start there since it come free with the camera?

I am a hobbyist and do minimum PP. PDCU does most of my needs. (The only annoying part is that it PPs only shots taken by a Pentax camera.)
09-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwar Quote
Going to try the free trial while find a good price on version 8 or 9.
excellent choice...also if you do decide to try the version 4 of the Pentax software, search the forum for info on how to install it from the download...the downloads from Pentax always ask for the original CD, what a PITA, but there is a work around. And from all accounts v4 is much improved over v3.51

I feel if you are like me, by trying a lot of different apps, you begin to get a sense of how they all work, basically the same...but different. And when you are done, you'll know better what fits your needs. Right now it's like throwing darts blindly at a board.
09-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Seconding Picasa. There's a couple of features I'd like to see but for free software it's tremendous - and it handles both PEFs and DNGs surprisingly well. Also it's very easy and intuitive to use.