Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

K100D Max Print Size?

Hi everyone, I am very new to my K100D DSLR Camera and fairly new to SLR cameras, owning an older Pentax K1000 film camera.

I was wondering if I could take my digital chip to a photo lab and print general sized posters??? I read that a Nikon d40 user doing this and loving his results(same res)...any input?? thanks all...

I apoligize if i posted this in the wrong place

09-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Short answer...yes.

11 x 17 is generally about the largest decent print for a 6 MP camera. However, you must remember that there is a correct viewing distance for any print, and that is the focal length of the lens (in 35mm format equivalent, I think), times the degree of enlargement.

So, yes, you can make nice big posters, but you shoull stand a ways back when viewing. If you are 16 inches away, as when looking at an 8 x 10, you will see the pixels.
09-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see

I was at Sam's photo processing today and saw a nice 1/2 poster sized print of a 3 meg Pixel and it looked pretty good from a few feet away, I know if I get closer I would see the warts, but that pic was also from a point and shoot...

thanks a lot SpecialK...
09-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #4

I've made 20x30's with my K100D's output, and been very happy with the results.

The answer really depends on many factors, but sharpness in the original shot is one, and viewing distance (eyeballs to print distance) is another.

The K100D's image size in pixels is ~3008x2008. If you divide that into inches, it gives you about 100 pixels per inch, or 100dpi, which I find acceptable for prints, unless you are planning on viewing the picture from 1.5 inches away. even then, it's really not bad.

Many people say they prefer to have 150 dpi, or even 300 dpi for their prints. Like so many other things in photography, it depends a lot on your personal perception of what is quality.

Can you make 20x30 posters? I say yes. I've got a framed 20x30 picture I took hanging on my wall that agrees with me.

If you really do need _huge_ prints (>20x30inches), another option is to stitch multiple frames together, assuming you're shooting something that isn't moving...

-Chris

09-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

I have a 20x30 inch image hanging in my wife's office from a *ist Ds - no problem. Printed through Costco for less than 25 USD including shipping. (their print shop is 3000 miles away on the other side of the US).

I print 12x18 inch images at Costco (load them up to the web site and pick them up on my way home). The K100D will support these sizes without issue - just get the proper printer profiles and be sure to turn off the default "auto fix" feature of the printer.

A few weeks ago I went to the Burke Museum to look at the Photography exhibition "Yellowstone to Yukon" Yellowstone to Yukon- Burke Museum the images displayed here were taken with a variety of film and digital cameras - and they are all large prints. The image of the photographer on the page shows him holding a Lecia rangefinder.

More information on Yellowstone to Yukon is available here: Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative - People working together to maintain and restore the unique natural heritage of the Yellowstone to Yukon region

Give places like Costco a try for larger that 8x10 inch prints - you will be pleased for the most part.

PDL

Last edited by PDL; 09-08-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added y2y web site
09-09-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Interpolation?

Great question. In addition, has anyone tried the various interpolation methods (bicubic, fractal, bilinear, stair, etc) offered in most graphics programs (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc) to increase the number of pixels for larger prints?

Do these methods truly improve the finished print or is it simply a waste of time?

stewart
09-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
100ppi

Looks to be around 100 PPI for a 20"x30" Poster shooting Raw adjusting to jpeg with my k100d, thanks all.... I think someone said this, but I had to figure it out in order to learn...thanks all!...Jim