Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Printing Non-Standard Sizes

I want to get some digital photos printed, but many of them aren't a standard dimension like 5x7 or 8x10. I've tried walgreens.com and snapfish.com so far, and they always just automatically crop the photos. My dad said something about how there should be an option to print in "full frame" so there's just a blank border on the sides, but we couldn't find any option for that. I also tried adding a border in Lightroom by expanding the dimensions, as directed by some website, but that didn't do anything either. How can I go about printing these photos without getting them cropped? Thanks!

10-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't use outside printers, but use two Epsons, R200 & R1800. I size the photos and let the printer paper settings match the size to the paper being used. Works well, may have to cut off some bare white areas, but it maintains the size ratio. I know that Walgreens can do this, but they seldom take the time unless you specifically point it out to them.
Best Regards
10-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I think you should just visit a quality professional printer in your area, even if it costs a bit more, you won't be walking out of there with something that looks odd or even bad.
and if you ask nicely you could come out of there with a bit more knowledge (never bad)
what dimensions are you thinking?
10-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
I think you should just visit a quality professional printer in your area
I'm not sure if there are any near me; I've never seen any.

And Lightroom says my most oddly cropped photo I want printed was shot at 4288x2848 (pixels I think?) and cropped to about 4000x1400.

10-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you really want to print an image on 5x7 paper but have it come out with a white border, one way to do that would be to simply eit it to look that way on your computer.

But most online printers would allow plenty of options in the area - including the ability to not crop an image (thus leaving a border), or the ability to print a size that actully works for the picture (eg, 8x12).
10-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Tom,
In Adobe Lightroom add the plugin called Mogrify. If you're exporting one at a time then the free version allows infinite exports, but only one at a time. There's an option called Canvas:
"The canvas option allows you to define the absolute final output size of your image. The image is first resized using the other options available, and borders are added. The images is then places on the fixed size canvas, which may have any colour you choose. If the image is bigger than the canvas then it will be cropped."

Next choose Resizing. Check the resize to fit box and select short side from the drop down box.

For instance if you're doing a 320dpi image at 4x6, you'll choose 1280x1920 px in canvas and if you want a 4:3 image inside that, you'll do: 1280 px for the short edge in resize. You'll get black bars on the side which you can then use a paper cutter to get rid of.

LR/Mogrify 2 - Add Watermarks, Border and Text Annotions to Images Exported by Adobe Lightroom 2
10-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Forgot to add, the image must first be in a 4:3 format. To do so the image must be that originally 4:3 or use the lightroom crop option to 4:3.

10-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is some overlap of a few key printing concepts here. Some clarity may help you find a solution.

APS-C-sized DSLRs and 135-sized "FF" SLRs and DSLRs create images with an aspect ratio of 3:2. Your uncropped 4288x2848 pixel image fits this relationship.

Uncropped images, or images that have been cropped to maintain the aspect ratio (in Lightroom that's what the little locked padlock icon preserves) can be printed in what your dad called "full frame." The sizes of finished prints also reflect the 3:2 aspect ratio: 4x6, 6x9, 7x10.5, 8x12, 12x18 etc.

These print dimensions are far less popular than the older framing standards of 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 etc, though they are gaining in popularity (hooray!). So to fit, those standard sized images often have to be cropped or digitally enlarged to fill the space. The final product often looks lousy.

Since you've cropped your image down to a narrow 4000x1400, I would recommend you work with a custom printer who may not have the constraints imparted by automation and mass production deadlines. It's going to be more expensive but your needs will be met.

You also have to decide what output size you want your print to be. The larger the output size, the lower the printed resolution of the final product will be. The resolution value will be expressed in PPI, pixels per inch. Let your printer tell you some reasonable possibilities. Smaller prints require higher resolution because people tend to look at them closer. The variables include how well the post-processing work was completed. Did you have Lightroom export the image with the output sharpening set for Print?

I hesitate to provide numerical rules of thumb because some printers (both the printer and the people operating the printer) are artful in squeezing great looking prints out of less pixels. My guess is that your 1400 will accomodate a print up to 14 inches wide on that short side. I'm not savvy enough with math to say exactly out how tall the image can be, but it's big.

Hope this helps, and I hope your print rocks.

M

Last edited by Miguel; 10-02-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo correction
10-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Better print places will print custom sizes. The most common way is using the method of putting the odd sized image on a "canvas" of traditional print size, then trimming the borders. If you don't have a local lab online services are a good option and are usually cost effective.

This is from Mpix:
"How to order custom size prints
Our printers will only print to the aspect ratio of our standard print sizes. You will need to crop your image to our standard sizes before uploading to ensure the correct cropping is done. If you have images that are not sized to our standard print sizes, you will need to place them on a canvas in Adobe Photoshop to get the desired size. Example: a 14x30 image would be placed on a 20x30 canvas (white border) in Photoshop to get the custom print size. Please use the text tool in Photoshop and write in the white border "please trim print" to alert our technicians to trim the image for you. Trimming is only available on print sizes 12x18 and larger."

You can print smaller sizes but you'll need to trim it yourself.