Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Consistenly dark prints... Best universal workaround?

I've color profiled my monitor, but my photo's are just printing too dark...

Soooo, what is the best way to universally compensate for this? Should I just increase the brightness in all my photo's 10-20%? Increase the exposure?

I've been struggling with this for EVER and I suppose something along these lines is the only way??

I've tried a large variety of papers and always use the correct ICC profile for the paper/printer combo. I'm fairly certain I've got all my settings correct in Lightroom for printing.

I admit I'm not working in the correct ambient lighting... but that's about all.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

10-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's great that your monitor is profiled. The symptoms you are describing match that of a too-bright monitor--calibrated or not. Did your software allow you to set a luminance target during the calibration process? Some of the better ones do. A good range is 90-120 cdm2.

If your monitor is within this range, then I'd create a preset in LR to boost the brightness by what you said.

What kind of computer and printer setup do you have?

M
10-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always just increased brightness by the 10-20% you are suggesting when sending digital files out to the local camera store for printing. I might approach things differently if I were doing a major print run, but it works fine for snapshots going to friends and family.

You could decrease your screen's gamma or brightness with the trade off of making it more difficult to use for general purpose work.
10-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Depending on your monitor you can set an alternate profile and just call up that profile when preparing the images for printing. Do enough printing and you get to know what brightness level you can dial in just before sending to printer - my Canon printer is very dark Epson not so bad but a little curve adjustment brightens things up nicely.

10-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have a Dell 2209WA monitor and use the EyeOne2 Display for Calibration.

The monitor is well regarded but about the least expensive available for photo work. It is not surprising that it's too bright. I have the luminance set to 110 during calibration and it requires me to bring my brightness setting on the monitor to almost 30. I'm not sure I could get much lower without being too low...
10-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the background info.
Sounds like you have things setup right.

What's your printer? And are you using application-managed output or printer-managed output?

M
10-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote

Soooo, what is the best way to universally compensate for this? Should I just increase the brightness in all my photo's 10-20%? Increase the exposure?

I've been struggling with this for EVER and I suppose something along these lines is the only way??

I've tried a large variety of papers and always use the correct ICC profile for the paper/printer combo. I'm fairly certain I've got all my settings correct in Lightroom for printing.

I admit I'm not working in the correct ambient lighting... but that's about all.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Ken
Welcome to the club. This is an often reported problem and there are other threads on this forum about the problem and on the internet. The problem seems to be that there is luminence behind the pictures when you see them on an LCD monitor, and there is no substitute for that when you receive a print that depends on reflected light.

I heard a talk from a pro recently that recommended keeping 2 versions of each image, a print version and a screen version - that sounded extreme to me.

I've just bumped up the brightness a little bit before i go to print. I like the idea of having a preset, calling it a print preset and applying it during the print preparation process. I have noticed that when i do an AUTO adjust on an image in Lightroom, it looks lighter in the print than when i do manual adjustments

10-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote

Ideas?

Thanks,

Ken
2 articles........
Shutterbug: Are Your Prints Too Dark?
Print Quality - Brighten Printed Photos