Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Image Resolution in Photoshop

I just purchased a Pentax K10D. After copying files to my PC and opening with Photoshop CS 2007, the image resoluton is only 72 pixels per inch. (My inexpense Kadak Easy Shagre camera files come in at 255 pixels per inch.) I took the pictures at 10 megapixels and highest resolution setting.

09-10-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Output devices: screen/monitor and printers need a default 'resolution--a starting point so to speak. The 72 is actually set by the K10 in the exif data for the image file.

There are few if any 72 ppi devices in service; your monitor is probably about 96pp if it's a typical 15-17 inch screen.

You can reset the default in Photoshop by changing preferences; you cannot change it in the K10. It fairly important that you leave this default at some approximation to the screens capabilities so that actual pixel view is exactly that. Photoshop should open your file so that you can view the entire image in one screen--but know that a lot of information is NOT represented except in actual pixel view.

Ultimately this parameter has little meaning except as a sort of guideline: screens are (usually) 96ppi, printers need about 300ppi for photo quality. You should actually get very familir with the images actual horizontal and vertical pixel dimensions--these numbers are a better indicator of what you have. With the stated guidelines you can then determine what can be done with the image.

QuoteOriginally posted by esipentax Quote
I just purchased a Pentax K10D. After copying files to my PC and opening with Photoshop CS 2007, the image resoluton is only 72 pixels per inch. (My inexpense Kadak Easy Shagre camera files come in at 255 pixels per inch.) I took the pictures at 10 megapixels and highest resolution setting.
09-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esipentax Quote
Understanding Resolution

I agree with the previous poster, but you might give the above link a read.

PPI is not an intrinsic attribute of the file, rather an expression of the number of pixels in an output. I.E. on a monitor it is 72 or 96, on processed digital sliver halide paper it will be much higher.

Honestly tho, I don't know what the maximum output resolution is for digital sliver halide prints. This guy claims 1200 DPI
AIM: Silver Halide Resolution

Anyway, if you want the absolute maximum in clarity from your prints, you want at least 1200 PPI for a given physical size. I.E. 4x6 or 8x10 or whatever.

Personally, when sending a print off to a finisher, if the resolution at the desired dimensions is above 600 PPI, you'll have a fine print -- 300 PPI is probably minimum.
09-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, in a print up to 8x10 anything over 300 dpi you won't see. The larger the print, the lower the dpi needs to be because the viewing distance is greater. Posters can be 200 and murals can be 150 or lower. Ben posted images of building size prints hanging at a fashion festival and said the dpi was somewhere under 100 dpi.

In Photoshop, if you have the resample option unchecked in image size dialog and change the dpi you will notice that the dimentions of the image will change (in inches, not pixels) because you are telling it how many of your total pixels you want in each inch. Until you go to print, this means nothing.

09-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you shoot in raw, in adobe camera raw you can set the output resolution to 300dpi, or what ever resolution you would like.
our local costco wants 320dpi for output, so I set it at that and let photoshop resize it for me. (the higher you set the output resolution for, the smaller the print size will be)

cheers and good luck

randy