Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Size of RAM depends on your work. If you use just LR3 or any RAW convertor. 32b system with 3GB of RAM is enough. If you wish to do some advanced post-processing in PS, then 4GB RAM is just just enough and you have to do just one picture (K-7 14.6Mpx) with few adjustment layers and smart filters.

Once you start to use more layers, even on 1 pic mentioned above by. You are going to be very flustrated with your virtual memory usage. My laptop instantly used HDD and response was horrible. Since laptop memory is expensive, solution was SSD drive which resolve all problems.

800MB PSD files with many layers, 3 pic blending with light-speed response.

It all depends on your work-flow

10-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #17
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the most important hardware item to check: the graphics card. That is the element of your system that does most of the work when dealing with images. Even with the fastest CPU, if a fast CPU is paired with a slow graphics adapter, any graphics output will still be more sluggish than it needs to be.

Many stock systems from Dell etc use rather ordinary graphics cards or rely on even more ordinary graphics chips built into the motherboard.

If buying a Dell, HP etc make sure that the graphics adapter included with it or built-in is a recent one (eg has an ATI Radeon model number higher than the 5450 or is a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 and above) and has plenty of dedicated video RAM included (eg 1GB).

Importantly, also check that the system you are buying or the graphics adapter has video connectors out for how you want to work - eg can support two monitors (eg via a 2 DVI out plugs, or has a DVI (digital) and D-Sub (analog) monitor out plug - so that you can have multiple-monitor support when using Lightroom. And/or has an HDMI output so that you can output stuff directly to a HDTV, if that is important to you. Etc

If you have a decent budget, I suggest looking for a graphics card specification list that looks something like this:

- ATI Radeon HD5570 Silent PCI-E 2.1 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 Video Card, 650/800 MHz, DVI, HDMI, D-Sub, DX11

- ATI Radeon HD5830 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card, 800/4000MHz, DVI/D-Sub/Display Port/HDMI, DX11, Fan.

- Geforce GTS450 1Gb PCI-E X16 DDR5 Video card, 2x DVI, VGA, HDMI, 783/3608mhz

- GeForce GTX460 PCI-E 2.0 768MB DDR5 192-bit Video Card, 715/3600MHz, 2x Dual-Link DVI, 1x mini HDMI, Fan

etc

A system with a powerful graphics system may add extra $$ to a system, but if the primary purpose of a new system is to do graphics, it is worth it.
Hi Rawr,

I have been "off line" for the last week, but have been thinking about the video card, so this is certainly a timely point. Looking at the subsequent posts, it certainly looks like the views vary!

Regards,
Kevin
10-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #18
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
My vote is to roll your own. It's easy... no problems.

Here's a link you might use as a template:

theatre of noise: Quiet Computer Build: Putting It All Together

Cheers...
I will look into this option. One question that comes to mind when building your own is what sort of support & warranty you then get...
10-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
what sort of support & warranty you then get
Since you've built the box yourself, naturally you only get the warranty support that applies to the individual components you've bought - power supply, hard-drive, graphics card etc - and the software you've installed. No human technical support of the system itself.

FWIW modern PC hardware is pretty reliable, especially the stuff with no moving parts like the motherboard and RAM. So the probability of problems is low. Most problems people have relate to software, not hardware, in my experience. If in doubt, buy quality components with long warranties - eg choose hard-drives that offer a 3 year warranty, RAM with a life-time warranty etc. And don't buy cheap components like $20 power supplies or noisy $1 CPU cooling fans.

And don't put the computer in a place where it will hoover up floor dust and cat or dog hair to the point where no air circulation can take place anymore within the case, so then everything over-heats.

Of course another option maybe to buy a PC assembled either to your specifications (or close enough) from a local PC store that offers a period of direct support.

Or finally if you make a DIY system and then need hands-on support, just drag your box into the local PC store and pay them to look at it.

10-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RisingSun Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a higher end graphics card is going to improve PS performance all that much, unless doing 3D work. I'd rather put that extra money towards more RAM or a new monitor.
Agreed, a high end graphics card is overkill. However a card with 1 gb of memory is a big help as photoshop can use that as a swap file. Also get a card that supports Open GL 3.0 (almost all do, but it's good to check anyway). You should be able to find a card with those parameters for under 100USD.
I just had a machine custom built for me (I don't have the time to put a rig together these days) the specs can be found here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1090...desktop-2.html scroll down to "my new rig" I don't have CS5 yet (like you I am planing on a CC course and student discount in Jan) but it runs PSE 8 much much much much quicker than my ancient 7 yr old rig did.

NaCl(unless you are a gamer of course, then get a better card)H2O
10-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
Inactive Account

what sort of support & warranty you then get...
warranty - exactly same like you buy anything else. support - you will be responsible for assembly, not other company. in case something doesn't work and you know what you do. you don't need any support. despite they try to look like professionals, support is not much different from ppl like you.they rarely know what to do.
10-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Agreed, a high end graphics card is overkill. However a card with 1 gb of memory is a big help as photoshop can use that as a swap file. Also get a card that supports Open GL 3.0 (almost all do, but it's good to check anyway). You should be able to find a card with those parameters for under 100USD.
I just had a machine custom built for me (I don't have the time to put a rig together these days) the specs can be found here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1090...desktop-2.html scroll down to "my new rig" I don't have CS5 yet (like you I am planing on a CC course and student discount in Jan) but it runs PSE 8 much much much much quicker than my ancient 7 yr old rig did.

NaCl(unless you are a gamer of course, then get a better card)H2O
how do you use graphic card as swap?

10-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sniper29a Quote
despite they try to look like professionals, support is not much different from ppl like you.they rarely know what to do
+1
Very true.
10-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will look into this option. One question that comes to mind when building your own is what sort of support & warranty you then get...
It's either time, or money.

Fortunately, I've not had any problems with my build (component or configuration). None of the components are that individually expensive. If poop happens, it usually happens immediately, right out of the box.. By now (nine months into the build), it's highly likely I'll just replace the part instead of putting up a warranty fuss and waiting for a repair/replacement.

As to support (drivers, etc.): Most of the parts in my build are about one generation older than today's cutting edge. By going to the vendor's website and downloading their updates, I have been able to avoid problems. My plan B is a quick internet search for someone who has had a similar issue and has posted a solution, or work around.

Finally, components are developed with the expectation that a newbie will be the builder. If you can follow instructions, not get too far ahead of yourself, or over think things, you will do OK... kinda like using your Mama's recipe to prepare a good Italian red sauce.

...my .02 cents...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 10-27-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: clarification
10-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #25
Inactive Account

if you decide to build your own comp. i suggest you to spend most money on high quality Motherboard and memory. Unless you love unstable system. Gygabyte MoBo is good choice and Transcend/Crucial memory as well.

Unless, you like framerate masturbation. I would suggest you to go for AMD system. Optimized system based on most components from one manufacturer. low power consumption compared to Intel. in case you use linux. main argument of Intel crowd is poor performance. No wonder if Intel/MS accidentally disadvantage compiler towards AMD. Unfortunatelly, all Windows applications are well optimized for Intel platform and AMD looks bad.

AMD CPU+AMD chipset+AMD/ATI graphic card = most stable system with perhaps 15% less performance compared to Intel, with 20% better power efficiency and used to be at lower price too.

Last edited by sniper29a; 10-27-2010 at 12:42 PM.
10-29-2010, 03:00 AM   #26

Another option is to consider an online retailer that offers the systems you want/need at prices that make more sense for the consumer. Lots of folks choose Dell because of their convenient payment plans. Consumers pay for the convenience by overpaying for the system and an extended warranty or repair components.

My favorite place to buy systems and parts if I'm upgrading or repairing one: Tiger Direct (not affiliated--just a happy customer for 20+ years). When buying a system, I don't go for the well-known name brands (also available there); my interest is in performance so I opt for the best specs that closely matches my dream configuration and the actual budget.

The dream configuration is usually the one that has the latest and greatest CPU, motherboard with a screaming FSB, a full-load of the fastest RAM, high-performance graphics card (w/lots of dedicated RAM) and as much storage as I can cram into the case. And don't forget a chassis designed for lots of air flow and ease of installation, a heavy duty power supply, and fans a-plenty to keep things cool to extend the life of your system. To build that kind of system, ordering parts within a short time-frame, usually ends up in the neighborhood approaching $3K USD.

For between $900 - $1,500, I have purchased systems with nearly top of the line specs from that source.