Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Paint Shop Pro X2 released

Corel has released Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 which now has Photo Merge which works real well so far. There is a 30 day trial available. Also on the news group there is a 40% discount code available.

10-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
Forum Member

red headed stepchild?

Ya know it's sad. I saw this post with absolutely no responses to it (in almost a months time) and thought to myself how much some people are really missing the boat.

PSP is a very adequate, capable, and competitive piece of software. It's much more intuitive and user friendly than PS, or even PSE, IMO. And can be found for half the price than PSE if one looks around well enough (I paid $49.99 for PSP X1, on sale @ BestBuy, about 6 months or so ago). For someone new to image editing software, it's a great starter program. The only fault I found with it is that it didn't recognise the PEF RAW files, but the new release of X2 does, and it also has the new Express Lab which has a built in HDR function.

Plugins and Add-ons? A lot of those made for PS/PSE will also work in PSP.

Is it just that everyone thinks that PS/PSE is the "gold standard"? That unless it has that Adobe brand on the box it's no good? (While Adobe laughs all the way to the bank)

I guess if one is really ... really ... REALLY a pro, and can justify, write off, or has someone else paying for it, then I could see the outlay of expense for PS. But for most of us, less is more. You could be buying gear for all that cash!!
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Forum Member

yeah

yeah, sad that so few people did not reply to this string. I already downloaded the program over 2 weeks ago, but have not had time to review it or see if it works as I expect. I am no pro, and still cannot see why photoshop is the gold standard to photo editing. I tried a LE version about 5-6 years ago and did not like it, I tried PSP 3.12 back in college and have updated to a new version since then. but... if the version 12 does not offer any new options I can use, I see no use to update to it then. well, after this weekend, I have about 2 GB of pictures to edit, when I have the time, I will try PSP 12 then to do the trial version. I like the idea of a digital filter to make fall leaves more orange, but so does the warming filter I use to take some pictures.
10-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

PSP??

Stupid Question alert???? PSP = photo shop Pro?????

I am all for cheap.. especially if it is easier to use. PS is hard to figure out due to the complexity of some of the functions, that me as a "want to be" lol.. wont ever use..

I will have to try the trial of PSP...

Thanks for the info!!!

10-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

PSP = Paint Shop Pro

The product is actually called
Paint Shop Pro Photo X2. It's a Corel product. I use PSP and just recently bought the upgrade to X2.

PSP X2 can read the Pentax camera raw files dierctly. My older version could not do this. I'm a total noob when it comes to digital photo editing. I have had some pretty good success with this program. I really dont know how it compares to Photoshop because I cant afford Photoshop. It does have some really cool features and a boat load of features that I have no clue how to use. I seem to learn something new each time I use it. I would really like for some one who has photoshop to try the PSP X2 trial and compare and contrast the features. I'm sure most of them area similar.
10-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
PSP = Paint Shop Pro

PSP X2 can read the Pentax camera raw files dierctly. My older version could not do this.
I usually use Photoshop CS2/CS3 but I was recently asked to write a review of this program for a digital photography website. I am working with the program now but the RAW image editor is giving me headaches.

When you open a RAW image in X2 is there a way to adjust the white balance setting like with most RAW editors? Every time I open a RAW file in X2 it just opens the file like a JPEG and there doesn't appear to be any way to change white balance.
10-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I usually use Photoshop CS2/CS3 but I was recently asked to write a review of this program for a digital photography website. I am working with the program now but the RAW image editor is giving me headaches.

When you open a RAW image in X2 is there a way to adjust the white balance setting like with most RAW editors? Every time I open a RAW file in X2 it just opens the file like a JPEG and there doesn't appear to be any way to change white balance.

The only RAW editor I'm familiar with is the one that pentax supplies with the K10D. I dont know if there is anything in PSP that will perform like the Pentax software will. I have used the PSP Color balance feature to make some corrections but I would not say it was similar to the pentax software. the pentax software lets you just click the proper setting. Using PSP's color balance takes a bit more finesse

10-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got JASC paint shop pro 7 (pre corel) and would have to save a raw file as 16 bit tiff in a scratch file to work on it so I was waiting for the k10d raw support and just about gave up. So I have been trying the new version for three weeks (wife had knee surgery so I haven't done much with it) and don't like how it doesn't let you use all the options at 16 bit, it wants to demote the image to 8 bit, like to clone out a dust spot. I don't know that much about PP but the old version didn't do that but the new one has more features. I'm still undecided, and i'm really diggin' capture 1-4 beta and usually thats all I need. I am sure that I don't want to blow $600 on a software program
10-05-2007, 06:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
I have been using X2 from the day it was released and I am very happy with it. I just wish it would support my K100D Super in RAW support. I have sent a request to Corel regarding this, but unless others request the support it won't happen. I like the HDR support a huge amount, and it is intuitive and easy to use. I started using PSP many years ago and have always liked it, but I think Jasc did a better job at listening to its customers.
10-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
Inactive Account

what can I say that hasn't been already said? Paint shop Pro x2 is a very nice package and is in the right price ball field. I got this program a few days before release and was asked to evaluate it. I still have Photo shop CS3 as my main photo processing suite. I can honestly say PS Pro x2 is well worth the price and does almost everything Photo shop CS3 does in processing. But It is lacking the ability to combine with the other programs like Dream weaver and in design, and illustrator. But for the person who only needs a Photo processor Paint Shop Pro x2 is one of the most reasonable programs on the market today. Easy to use and great to be able to create with.
10-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #11

I paid for and downloaded PSPP X2 a couple of days ago. I've also got PS CS3 and I find PSPP easier to use and with almost the same functionality. Also I *absolutely hate* Adobe Bridge and the PP organiser is much easier to use and just as functional though I guess iMatch is probably better. There are things in PS CS3 that PSPP doesn't have, though.