Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aperture 3 - Saving slideshow to DVD.....

My copy of Aperture 3 just showed up in the mail today, and I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to make a slideshow with it. Assuming I'm successful at that, how do I then get that slideshow burned to a DVD so that I can give it to someone else to watch on their computer?

Thanks,

Tim

10-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unlike iPhoto, Aperture does not provide a way to burn a slideshow directly to DVD. You will have to export a movie then burn that to DVD.

QuoteQuote:
Sharing Your Slideshow Movies
Once you have completed your slideshow, you are ready to share it with clients and friends. Aperture provides a few simple controls for exporting your slideshow as a movie, in the size and format most suitable for your intended audience. When you’re ready to share your slideshow, the first thing you need to decide is how it will be viewed. By default, the export dialog provides options for exporting your slideshow as a movie suitable for playback on iPod, iPhone, and iPod touch; as a movie for the web to be posted on MobileMe or YouTube; or as a high-resolution movie compatible with HD 720p Apple TV or HD 1080p televisions. If necessary, you can also output your slideshow movie in a custom size.

To share your slideshow as a movie
In the top-right corner of the Slideshow Editor, click the Export button.

In the dialog that appears, give the slideshow movie a name in the Save As field, then select a location to save it to.

Choose the viewing platform for your movie from the “Export for” pop-up menu.

If you want to export a slideshow movie in a custom size, choose Custom from the “Export for” pop-up menu, then enter the width and height, in pixels, in the Width and Height fields, and enter the number of frames per second in the Frame Rate field.

If you want Aperture to automatically send a copy of the slideshow movie to iTunes, select the “Automatically send slideshow to iTunes” checkbox.

Click Export.
10-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks boriscleto.

Since I've never done this before, how do I "finish it off"? I've made the slide show, added the music and played it in Aperture - and all looks good. Now when I go to export, do I just export it to my desktop, and once there pop in a blank DVD and drag it over to the DVD to copy?
Also, if I'm just trying to make DVD's for others to view on their computers, what's the best size (under the "Export for" drop down menu) to use - HD1080p?

Thanks again for the help.....

Tim
10-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It really depends on the computer the other person is using. If they are using a Mac just create a Burn Folder (File->New Burn Folder) and save the file there. As long as the file is less than 4.7 GB it will work just fine. If the other computer is a Windows PC you will need to use a third party program like Toast Titanium. This is because the Finder burns discs as HFS (Mac) format discs. Toast will allow you to burn Mac/PC hybrid or UDF format discs. Toast is a program worth having anyway. I really like the Photo Discs it creates. If the PC you are creating it for is an older PC, make it 720p, newer PCs should be able to play 1080p just fine although it may have to be scaled down to fit the monitor. For example, my monitor has a native resolution of 1440x900. 720p video fits just fine, but 1080p video has to be scaled down.

10-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Won't iDVD or even iPhoto make a DVD that is playable in just about any DVD player/recorder out there? (I mean platform independent as well as stand alone - hooked -up - to - the - tv type.)
I might very well be mistaken, but it seems like Apple does provide the tools to do this without the need to purchase additional software.
10-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you want to make something for others to play on a computer, you'd be better off with a QuickTime movie (.mov) in HD. I see you are in the US and the DVD standard is much lower resolution. You can make a HD version with iMovie and burn to a DVD or CD disk.
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iTod Quote
Won't iDVD or even iPhoto make a DVD that is playable in just about any DVD player/recorder out there? (I mean platform independent as well as stand alone - hooked -up - to - the - tv type.)
I might very well be mistaken, but it seems like Apple does provide the tools to do this without the need to purchase additional software.
That's what iDVD or iMovie is for. iDVD won't be included in the next iLife package. Steve Jobs has declared the DVD dead. We are all supposed to stream everything to our TVs through an AppleTV. Aperture does not provide any way to burn images to optical media, never has. iPhoto can burn a backup to DVD but not a slideshow. You have to send the pictures to iDVD or iMovie.

10-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a way to burn Aperture Masters to a disc using Automator and to create an iDVD slideshow or Keynote slideshow.

Automator Workflows: Burn Aperture Masters to Disc

Automator Workflows: Aperture Images to iDVD Slideshow

Automator Workflows: Aperture to Keynote Slideshow
10-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wrong about Apple not including iDVD in iLife'11. But it is version 7, same since iLife'08. Only iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand were updated. iPhoto looks very nice. The iMovie trailer feature is going to be big.
10-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two free alternatives to iDVD.

SmallDVD

MovieGate