Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
processing options for PEF on older Mac

I'm trying to access photos taken by a K20D on an older, pre-Intel iBook. Don't have the iBook at hand and can't remember exactly what the version of OS X is, but of course it's not the latest.

Anyway, iPhoto won't open PEF files on this computer. What are my options? Picasa for Mac OS X requires an Intel processor, so that won't work. Can't upgrade the OS on this old computer, so I have to use something that will work with slightly out of date OS. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Will

10-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Ananta Androscoggin

I've only heard reference to PEF a couple of times so far, and have absolutely zero idea about what kind of image file it might be.

I only recently came to understand that DNG files was an attempt to have a sort of standard cross-RAW-file format because the info coming from each imaging chip used is different.

I just looked through the Preferences for Graphic Converter 6.7.4 and PEF is not a file-type on its long list of what it will open.

Looked in the file-types in PS CS4 open dialog box, and it's not there either, but both "Camera RAW" and "Photoshop RAW" are.

Last edited by Ananta Androscoggin; 10-20-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add note for PS
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ananta Androscoggin Quote
I've only heard reference to PEF a couple of times so far, and have absolutely zero idea about what kind of image file it might be.
PEF = Pentax Electronic File. It's Pentax's proprietary raw format.

Will
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually it does look as if Graphic Converter (one of the great programs of all time for the Mac) has older versions available for download, AND it appears that at least some of these versions support PEF.

Will

10-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Ananta Androscoggin

Good ol' Lemke Software
10-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.1 added support for the K20D.

Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.1

Requires 10.4.11 and iPhoto'08 or Aperture 2.
10-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Maybe select DNG raw files as an option on the camera and you'd have better luck with compatibility.

Assume OSX version 10+, you just have to click on the apple icon in the upper LH corner of the screen and click on about this Mac to find your current OS version in addition to other things.

10-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.1 added support for the K20D.

Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.1

Requires 10.4.11 and iPhoto'08 or Aperture 2.
Thanks. I was excited about this *but it turns out I've got iPhoto version 5, and this update doesn't apply to that version. ;-(

Am running Mac OS X.5 on my G4 PowerBook, one of the machines I'm dealing with here. Earlier I mentioned the iBook; still not sure what version of OS X that's running. Will post here as soon as I figure that out. Thanks,

Will
10-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your iBook (if it's a G4) should be able to run Leopard, OS 10.5. From your posts I cannot discern whether you want to simply view PEF raw files or perform post-processing on them. If you want the former, then the OS update combined with Finder quickview should serve you well.

For post work I have used Lightroom v2.x on pre-Intel Macs with good results. I believe version 3.x does require Intel.

M
10-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The original 12 inch iBook G4 is only 800MHz, so no 10.5. All other G4 iBooks can run 10.5. My iBook is a G3, so no iPhoto higher than 6.
10-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
will

have you looked at adobe's dng converter.

when I had a problem with new cameras and old software, I found that converting to DNG with Adobe's dng converter did the trick.

not sure about mac's and if they read DNG but this is probably the best bet