Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One photo in JPEG - HDR effect - anyone try it before?

I like the look of subtle HDR.
I'm still strugging to find the right way to make a regular HDR, but I saw a few pages on the internet where some people have figured out how to do an HDR effect using only one original photo, in JPEG.
Naturally, RAW is obviously going to be better, but a lot of my pics are in JPEG.

I just cannot imagine someone doing any type of sharp photo with movement (either people or objects such as moving cars) with three separate images.

Has anyone tried using one JPEG? Or one RAW for that matter?

Are results any good?

10-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I've done it with a jpeg using Dynamic Photo-HDR. It came out pretty good IMO. It can be done and you can crank it up or tone it down, however you want it.
10-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photomatix and other HDR software often allow one to treat a single photo with the micro contrast effects of HDR software, but you won't get the extended dynamic range of a 3 or 5 image HDR. in other words, you don't get something for nothing.
10-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Being spoilt with Photoshop, I've used the Shadows/Highlights tool to good effect for those JPGs that have too much contrast even after processing the RAW images. It creates a pseudo-HDR look to the image, but is totally controllable and can render shadows and pull highlight details very well without creating unsightly halos. In-camera HDR effects from single images are mediocre at best IMO.

10-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

From what I've tried with the K-x with in-camera HDR function, it took multiple shots. I couldn't be stable enough. I've yet to experiment with a tripod with it, but I believe the K-x in-camera HDR function achieved it's goal: it got me curious about it. I don't know how to go about doing three or five shots of moving objects though.
10-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A JPEG or 8-bit TIFF image can already represent a large DR, due to its non-linear tone response curve (TRC) mapping. See:

Re: JPEG's hold 8 stops of DR, not correct...: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=34065160

The advantage of 1-shot processing from a raw rather than a JPEG/TIFF is that there is no TRC in a raw file - it's 12 or 14-bit linear encoding. So you may be able to mold it better into the tone mapping/TRC you're choosing to represent your pseudo-HDR image without visible effects. Because with pseudo-HDR on a JPEG/TIFF, you're pulling & pushing the TRC differently than it was in the original JPEG/TIFF (otherwise it would look exactly the same), and therefore the non-linearity in the tone stepping is more likely to become visible.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-22-2010 at 03:29 PM.
10-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
A JPEG or 8-bit TIFF image can already represent a large DR, due to its non-linear tone response curve (TRC) mapping. See:

Re: JPEG's hold 8 stops of DR, not correct...: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Re: Gordon: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The advantage of 1-shot processing from a raw rather than a JPEG/TIFF is that there is no TRC in a raw file - it's 12 or 14-bit linear encoding. So you may be able to mold it better into the tone mapping/TRC you're choosing to represent your pseudo-HDR image without visible effects. Because with pseudo-HDR on a JPEG/TIFF, you're pulling & pushing the TRC differently than it was in the original JPEG/TIFF (otherwise it would look exactly the same), and therefore the non-linearity in the tone stepping is more likely to become visible.

Dan.
I had to read your response a few times before I understood it.
It makes sense! Thanks!
I unfortunately (and stupidly) have a tendency to shoot in JPEG only instead of RAW (or both) when I walk around with my camera. Then I go out to seriously take properly composed (with my limited abilities) shots and forget my to change my settings.

10-22-2010, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
I unfortunately (and stupidly) have a tendency to shoot in JPEG only instead of raw (or both) when I walk around with my camera. Then I go out to seriously take properly composed (with my limited abilities) shots and forget my to change my settings.
Michel, some Pentax DSLRs have a RAW button so you can switch the next shot to raw or to raw+JPEG. The RAW button can either be configured as a 1-shot change or a continuing change - I think it then acts as a toggle. (I don't think the K-x has that button).

I've learnt by a number of painful experiences always to shoot in raw. The times that I've not done this or deleted the original raw files after conversion to TIFF/JPEG, I've later greatly regretted. It's easy to do a initial batch convert from raw to JPEG/TIFF and then go back and lavish your attention & PP efforts on the shots that need it.

Dan
10-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My Truth in advertising

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
I had to read your response a few times before I understood it.
It makes sense! Thanks!
I unfortunately (and stupidly) have a tendency to shoot in JPEG only instead of RAW (or both) when I walk around with my camera. Then I go out to seriously take properly composed (with my limited abilities) shots and forget my to change my settings.
I started out shooing jpeg, moved to jpeg with RAW, then arrived at 100% RAW for the last year or so.

BUT, having read accounts recently from 2 HDR guys on Pentax Forums who do HDR handholding, i can now see some advantages to jpeg for some applications.

For example:
1. if you are shooting hdr handheld, you want the sequence to be as fast as possible to avoid movement between frames. therefore, jpeg are smaller files and write quicker. therefore these guys are using just jpegs vice the bigger files of RAW

2. Due to the larger files, the K5 can store far fewer RAW than jpegs. after the buffer fills up, the shutter won't respond until writing is complete. I've had this happen several times in live theatre shooting - so jpegs would help to solve that problem.

i'm still a proponent of RAW, but the HDR handholding makes a good case for jpegs and i'll be trying it out.

best wishes,