Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie question: have a student purchase chance

My son was offered the chance to buy Digital Software through his school. Not sure if its a good deal or not as its a bundle and wanted some feedback from folks familiar with all the competing options in the editing arena.

He's been offered Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended, Lightroom 3, and Corel Painter 11 for $299.

I'm looking to edit photos of the children at events, trips shots, and a few macros for my other hobby - watches.

Thanks.

10-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

All 3 for that price? Not sure what it's like in the US but where I am that's quite a steal.

But you only really need one of them, not all 3. PS is the most advanced but does take some understanding and experience to get the most out of it.

Lightroom's an excellent program as well. Just learn one and it should satisfy all your post-processing needs.
10-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is not a good deal. This is a GREAT deal!! However, those are likely to be educational versions which might have issues with future upgrade (I am uncertain). All 3 softwares have different purposes with some overlapping areas. Definitely worth trying if you are into post-processing. Just be warned that LR3.2 is rather hardware demanding if you want everything run smoothly.
10-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
All 3 for that price? Not sure what it's like in the US but where I am that's quite a steal.

But you only really need one of them, not all 3. PS is the most advanced but does take some understanding and experience to get the most out of it.

Lightroom's an excellent program as well. Just learn one and it should satisfy all your post-processing needs.
The list price for the 3 in the US is around $1700 from what I can find.

10-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
This is not a good deal. This is a GREAT deal!! However, those are likely to be educational versions which might have issues with future upgrade (I am uncertain). All 3 softwares have different purposes with some overlapping areas. Definitely worth trying if you are into post-processing. Just be warned that LR3.2 is rather hardware demanding if you want everything run smoothly.
Thanks. The website says you have to be certified by Adobe as a student, no problem, and that its fully functional.

I'm probably going to do it just to see how much I can play with the photos. I've never done more than cropping them in the free stuff that comes on computers so this will be a huge learning curve for me.
10-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My son was offered the chance to buy Digital Software through his school. Not sure if its a good deal or not as its a bundle and wanted some feedback from folks familiar with all the competing options in the editing arena.

He's been offered Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended, Lightroom 3, and Corel Painter 11 for $299.

I'm looking to edit photos of the children at events, trips shots, and a few macros for my other hobby - watches.

Thanks.
Grab it. From what I understand, the only difference is the price. Doesn't matter what you want to do with it, even as a good RAW converter, the three piece package is Well worth that and more.

10-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Ended up being $325 with shipping and tax. Is supposed to arrive sometime the end of next week.
10-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good deal. You shouldn't have any trouble upgrading in future. Once you're in, you're in (as long as you keep reasonably up to date).

10-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Ananta Androscoggin

One other point about this -- you'll want to up the amount of RAM in the computer if it isn't already, in order to keep things from being bogged down by spooling to/from disk. Much faster if files and such can all be held in RAM all at once.
10-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a great deal. Adobe offers up to 80% discount for student / teachers and from what I understand it is fully functioning software. I'll be taking advantage of this before I graduate as well.
10-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. 2 of the 3 software packages arrived yesterday evening. I have started the verification process with Adobe. You have to provide proof of student status and for K-12 that means a report card should do. Uploaded that in PDF format with the serial numbers and am awaiting their sending me the codes to unlock the software. Lightroom 3.0 & Photoshop CS5 Extended for $299. My son is using an older Sony P&S and is excited to try some wizardry on his photos and I'm looking forward to it too.

Thanks for the help.