Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silkypix software problem

I have been using the Software Ver. 4 that came with my K-7 it was working fine. however I couldn't get it to modify enhance etc any pic's either JPEG or RAW. After rebooting it message appeared PTXUTL40.EX Problems needs to close clicked don't send. - Program disappeared. After a couple of attempts & rebouting my computer no change. Removed program and re-installed same message. Can any one help?

10-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #2

I can't help, but I can empathize. The version that came with my K-x earlier this year was so unstable (on WinXP) that I ditched it completely. I've since installed on a different computer running Win7 and stability seems fine. I still rarely use the software though because I find it annoyingly slow. Good luck!
10-22-2010, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If you check mark some files and then close Pentax DCU4 without unchecking them you will get this error. A reinstall does not clear the contents of the Pentax Application Data directory. I don't use DCU4 (I'm a SilkyPix Pro user), but I just confirmed this by getting DCU4 to crash for me.

The file you need to delete is CheckInfo.ini. In my case it's in the
C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Local Settings\Application Data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4 directory.
Application Data is a hidden directory.

You can locate it by doing a search for checkinfo.ini, including hidden files & directories in the search options. Then delete this file. Just worked for me!

If you want, put a shortcut to this directory on your Desktop or in your Photo Programs folder so you can easily get there if it happens again. You could name the shortcut "Delete CheckInfo.ini in here".

You could also create a batch file in Notepad and run it.

Name the text file Fix_DCU.bat

The text file contains 1 command line. Use the right full pathname for you.

del
"C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Local Settings\Application Data\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4\checkinfo.ini"

There were some stability fixes also in v4.21 so make sure you're running at least that version.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 10-22-2010 at 02:24 PM.
10-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I fixed it by deleating CheckInfo.ini file as you indicated. It seams to be working fine. Is there an update to the software? If there is how can I find it?
thanks again

10-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Here's a link to DCU 4.21

PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 Update for Windows : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Dan
10-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dan,
I updated the software with out any more problems
10-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same problem too....suddenly the silkypix software stopped working. Deleting the checkinfo.ini file indeed helped.

Even better, version 4.31 is finally out. I haven't been too impressed with the software yet and only use it for converting PEF files to DNG so I have two raw versions and read the dng files in Photoshop CS3.

Thanks a bunch!