Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
paint shop photo XI fails to install

I purchased a Pentax K20d 2 years ago and the paint shop XI software came with it, It will not completely install, it gets to about 97% and locks up, Over the last two years I try to load it and fails, The stupid softawre company says It is a bad download please retry, well it is their disk and not a download, I also downloaded and fails exactly the same, has anyone else had this problem and what can I do to get it to work, I need some kind of software and can't afford Photoshop etc.... any help or suggestions are welcome..... Thanks

10-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcool Quote
I purchased a Pentax K20d 2 years ago and the paint shop XI software came with it, It will not completely install, it gets to about 97% and locks up, Over the last two years I try to load it and fails, The stupid softawre company says It is a bad download please retry, well it is their disk and not a download, I also downloaded and fails exactly the same, has anyone else had this problem and what can I do to get it to work, I need some kind of software and can't afford Photoshop etc.... any help or suggestions are welcome..... Thanks
Try to establish why it fails. Sounds like an issue with your PC, NOT with the software. Try posting to a Windows forum for help If all else fails, you could try some free software. The software company is probably not the stupid side here...
10-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #3

I don't use Paint Shop but I do know that Corel has implemented software to protect their software. If your PC is locked down regarding "behind the scenes" activity, this could be the cause of your problem.

Research PsiService_2.exe--it's used by DxO's software, too.
10-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try this:
http://corel.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/761494/kw/delete/p/155,205/c/285,286/r_id/166

10-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If that doesn't work,
Then this:
by ghoofie on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:46 am

Well whatya know...I redownloaded the install program..and this time it worked... guess it was a bad file downloaded the first...OR..the one thing I did change was the settings on my display..I previously used a lower setting since the eyes aren't what they used to be..the bigger letters easier to read..I noticed in the system requirements, it was a higher setting. I set my display at 1280 x 1064 and the install worked. Not sure if the video setting would have stopped the install...I tend to think it was a bad install file first time around.
10-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
GIMP is free. Never used it. Awkward interface according to users.

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... is free. I use it for viewing only on netbook during travels. Has advanced features according to some posters.

Elements is under $100, probably around $75. Some posters say interface went downhill a bit after v6 (which I use and like).
10-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had an issue with one version of PSP, I don't remember which, where there was a failure to install.

I do not recall now what the solution was, but I use PSP X3 ultimate and it installs cleanly.

It may have been version X1, and the timing sounds about right.

You may wish to contact corel and ask them. The program is a good overall editor and can do most things that the suite of adobe products can do.

You may also wish to upgrade it because I am not sure it will read PEF files from the K20.

11-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks everyone, will try the suggestions... Jeff