Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon pro9000 m.2 vs Epson R1900.. which one to get?

So a neighbor gave me a Canon Pixma iP4300 and after having played around with it I would like the ability to print lab quality photos from home as it would give me just more control over the whole process and ICC ect.

Having looked over many forums on this topic, I can't decided between these two pictures.

The Epson has a wider color gamut and some say prints better pictures, but I have heard a lot of bad things about epson reliability in more than a few places. The Canon can do better black and white photos apparently and doesn't seem to have the reliability issues of epson printers. Either way i am looking for a dedicated photo printer out of either one of these as I have a laser for documents.

Pigment vs Dye ink?? Canon uses dye while epson uses (and many say superior) pigment inks.

Is it worth stepping up to the R2880 or the 9500???

Any help is cool.

10-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I just got today my Canon Pixma Pro900 MKII, easy to install on Windows 7 . Itry to print 2 photos in 4x6 and I compare them with the one I got printed outside. Wow !! What a difference . The color are more real and precise
Regarding dye and Ink , if you do not keep photo for 100 years, dye are good

Her the place to get a great opinion

PS I got mine from NCIX this week , grat special at $269 CDN. NCIX ship in the USA

Imaging Resource Printer Review: Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Printer

Here some printing cost Info , very good
Canon
Cost of Inkjet Printing Report Canon Pro9000 Pro9500

Epson
Cost of Inkjet Printing Report Epson R2400 and R1900
10-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The R1900 is great for glossy color photos. It has a gloss optimizer that manages the artifacts common to pigments on glossy paper. The canon is better for B&W as you know.

Dye has a brighter, vivid look. Pigments are supposed to be more archival but dyes last long with the right paper. If you are selling prints go pigment. I have one printer of each type & like 'em both.

Research consumable costs as that can be pricey.

There have been a few promotions offering that Canon printer with DSLR purchase & a lot of these are available unopened on Craigslist.

M
10-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just run mine on Canon glossy paper and they are perfect. The Pixma 9500 is the one for B&W not the 9000

10-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well my photos are usually going to be printed on matte for the better skin tones, as well as some glossy use.
10-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 pieces of info -

I found the best price on my Pixma9000m2 from craigslist because so many folks bought it on special deal with their camera planning on just reselling it. $200 in unopened box.

Pictures on the Canon brand semi-gloss 13x19" are far better than I get at any of the local print shops, including Ritz Camera. Its the ability to print exactly as your screen looks that takes the cake. But getting to that point takes some time. I found Canon very helpful in getting me there. Not only supplied their own sample shots of faces for me to print and send back if needed but were also helpful about how which apps can use Canon or custom ICC profiles and which do not. Ultimately, I can print now exactly whats on the screen but only through the Canon utility which requires Canon paper as you can not add other brands profiles to it. Its not bad really, I never really liked using PE8 print utility plus high quality papers seem to match up very well with exisiting Canon profiles. Semi-gloss papers seem most appropriate for large (>8x10) prints IMO.

Overall, most happy with the 9000 and Canon's tech support.
10-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any Epson owners wishing to defend the Epson?? lol.

10-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If printing on matte paper is a core requirement, I recommend you research how well the Canon dye takes and what recommended papers are. Usually the best matte papers are made by third parties. See if they have downloadable profiles for the Canon.

M
10-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I use the R1900.
I sell prints and do passport images for people - the people aren't picky but the Passport authorities are and they give the thumbs up on print quality for my clients.

Being able to say to people that given appropriate hanging location prints will have long life is a bonus as everyone has experience of faded inkjet prints.

B&W printing can cause a blueish cast.

A3+ size printing adds to choices for customers but ink prices have to be offset by the prices I charge. It is possible to get discounts direct from the Epson website from time to time. I shop online as I live very remotely but their express post is indeed express post.

Epson machines in my experience donot like to be left idle - I use it at least once a week to keep the nozzles fresh. If I must leave the machine unused for longer than that I do have to perform a nozzle clean - average temp where I live is 28deg if I am not around to use the aircon.

I have been using the machine now for 18 months and have had no issues. I use Epson printer profiles rather than those provided by photoshop as they seem more predictable for me on my unprofiled Samsung LCD monitor. I always use print preview as the preview is remarkably accurate and representative of the final image.
10-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well i decided to go with the Canon ... thanks for you input guys!
10-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good choice, I haven't bought ink for my Epson since I bought my Canon. Canon have their own line of papers, many made by the same third party people who make papers. And I've had great luck using the canon profiles on similar papers from other manufacturers. I made my choice after carefully looking at the same image done on EPson, HP and Canon printers. There were few differences, but the Canon was on sale, I got the Pro 9500 for around $500. It uses Lucia inks rated at 200 years when stored in an album. All the printers HP, EPson, Canon were about the same for that, no difference between major maufacturers, so a moot point. Because I got it on sale , the Epson or HP that would have been comparable would have been $300 more. Given that by my reckoning the Canon had the best picture quality in the under $1000 price range, that just sealed the deal.
10-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I picked up the epson r1900 due to the rebate they were running (or are running...through today?). Bought it with a K-x kit 3 weeks ago, the rebate will end up making the price of the printer twenty bucks, worth a try I would say. Unfortunately I haven't even unboxed it yet; I will follow up with some usage remarks when I get around to it (if I remember!).
10-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
[deleted]
the rebate will end up making the price of the printer twenty bucks, worth a try I would say.
[deleted]
Printer manufacturers follow the razor blade model. They'll pretty much give you the printer knowing that the real money is to be made from consumables.

M
10-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Printer manufacturers follow the razor blade model. They'll pretty much give you the printer knowing that the real money is to be made from consumables.

M
I figured as much! I had a similar $100 rebate back with my first pentax, the ist dl. It is still surprising to see such large rebates on relatively high end printers though. I figure even if I only use the provided ink it will have been worth it to experiment wig some larger panoramas.
10-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
Inactive Account

lol probably a bit late to defend my epson,seeing as the op made his choice.
i use an epson 3880,its in a different league than the 2 debated here but this thing does color and b/w prints very very well.
i use ilford gold fibre silk(300$ for 50 a2 sheets)and it is the bomb digity
the paper smells like my old darkroom chemicals,so cool.