Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DXO are giving 30% off DXO Optics Pro until Dec 25

FWIW.

DXO are running a discount on DXO Optics Pro again.

Until Dec 25 2010 you can get a 30% discount off DXO OPtics Pro 6.2, their RAW convertor/ image manager. Normally $169, now $99USD for the Standard edition. Includes free upgrades to all upcoming 6.x releases.

https://shop.dxo.com/login.php?CountryShow=International

K-x support is promised for November (ie soon) when v6.5 is coming out, along with more Pentax lenses.

11-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DXO - keystone correction for DA14 UWA?

This is very interesting. I know DXO can do lens correction but until i actually went into the website to find out what it can do, I never know it can correct keystone problems. Very cool.

Now does anyone know if DXO can correct keystone problems for UWA like the DA14 for instance?

USD99 is a good price. Quite interested. want to know more.
11-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Rawr, i see that DA14 is supported. Any ideas what other pentax lenses will be supported under v6.5 release?
11-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do like DXO for its lens corrections and it's high level of automation. Despite lagging in it's support for some Pentax stuff it is certainly a keeper in my software toolkit.

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Any ideas what other pentax lenses will be supported under v6.5 release?
The media release for 6.5 didn't exactly specify any specific lenses:
DxO Optics Pro v6.5 available in November

But their lens/body module roadmap gives some clues:
Short-term DxO Optics Modules Roadmap

I think basically all the items marked as November will be available at the same time as the 6.5 release.

It's also notable that DXO promised in the 6.5 media release to step up the pace of their lens/body module development in 2011:

"DxO Optics Pro has long been recognized for its unrivaled automatic optical fault correction based on DxO Optics Modules — laboratory-grade mathematical models defining optical faults, including the exclusive lens softness, of each particular camera & lens combination. More than 2,500 DxO Optics Modules have been made available in the last six years, and this number will grow at an accelerated pace of 600 per quarter in 2011, to reach a total of 5,000 by the end of that year." That's good news for Pentax users, I think.

11-05-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to download the trial copy for a test spin.
11-05-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

how do you guys install the DxO on your puter? I downloaded the trial version and i have now installed it on 2 PC (win7, WinXP) and 1 notebook (Win7) and while the installation is successful, I can't start the application. There is no error, no dialog box, no pop up screen, nothing. Am I missing something?
11-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
how do you guys install the DxO on your puter?
Normally it is straight-forward, just like any Windows app.

Hmmm. I do recall something about it wanting Internet access in order to complete install though. You could try making sure your Internet connection is OK and firwall isn't blocking the DXO installer's connection attempts.

A PDF install guide is here:
http://www.dxo.com/var/dxo/storage/fckeditor/File/manuels/DxO_OpticsPro6_Install_guide.pdf

11-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Internet access is okay and just in case there is something i did wrong, i uninstall the software, disabled firewall, and reinstall. Same thing. no luck. Certainly beats me
11-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm. Interesting. I've done a DXO install twice - first a long time ago I installed the trial, then un-installed it. Then later bought it and installed again and registered it. All went OK (Windows XP 32bit).

Maybe Google search for 'DXO install problem' and some results may come up that match your operating system and situation. DXO also have help and support here:
What kind of support do you need ?
and forums:
DxO Forums
11-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see that DxO has finally placed the K-x on its roadmap (just as the K-r was being released.) Maybe there is hope for Pentaxians with that program. I suspect that it will be a very long time before DxO adds support for the K-5 and the K-r. Based on their past history of very poor support, I would say that DxO is a progam that Pentaxians should avoid. I used it extensively with my K10D. Since switching to Capture One, my photos look much better. I never bought into DxO's claim that simply applying presets would automatically produce the optimal results. Each photo of any worth needs individualized adjustments. But for those who want one click processing with lens corrections, it may be the ticket.

Rob
11-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how do you guys install the DxO on your puter? I downloaded the trial version and i have now installed it on 2 PC (win7, WinXP) and 1 notebook (Win7) and while the installation is successful, I can't start the application. There is no error, no dialog box, no pop up screen, nothing. Am I missing something?
I seem to remember that the first time you have to run the application 'as administrator'. It's not enough your account has administrator rights.
I'm not sure though but this is readily verified.

PS when your trial runs out and you should decide to buy, you can only use the application on 2 systems with a single licence.
11-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I suspect that it will be a very long time before DxO adds support for the K-5 and the K-r. Based on their past history of very poor support, I would say that DxO is a progam that Pentaxians should avoid.
I suspect they may fast-track the K-5 since they themselves have given it so much prominence recently, DXOmarking it even before the D7000. But yeah, the K-r probably won't be included as quickly.

I remain optimistic about their Pentax support improving. Pentax support hasn't been great in the past, for sure, but lets see what 2011 will bring.

I must admit though with all the improvements in for example LR3, I personally could stop using DXO Optics Pro tomorrow and not miss it too much.

But I have to also confess that there have been some situations in the past where DXO has helped me out a lot on some important but problem riddled shots, where other programs couldn't, so I remain fond of the program. It also has some neat features that LR3 still doesn't have.
11-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have now contacted DxO tech support and they gave me a whole list of things to troubleshoot, from doing the Windows 7 DEP thingy to changing the commas and dots in regional settings and installing all the microsoft C++ patches.

Done all that. Log in as Administrator too. No joy. I simply cant understand why is this so difficult.
11-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

DXO site indicates that 6.5 supports K-X.

If you follow the link to the gear page, you'll find that Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000 are shown as due for addition in December 2010.